Solved

Intellisnap Backup Copy kills Virtual Disk Service on Server 2016 Media Agent

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi

Been plagued with this problem for a while. Support has not been able to crack it yet either. I have 4 Media Agents and 2 are using CBT and crash consistent backup options for the Intellisnap and work fine. The other 2 Media agents are also using CBT but using Application Consistent (quiesced backup) backup options for Intellisnap and these Media Agents will sometimes freeze up the Virtual Disk Service and the backupcopy fails for the remainder of the backup copies. I cannot open the process manager on the MA’s when this happens and end up have to reboot the MA to get things back on track. Not a lot of info but chucking this one out there to see if anyone had a similar experience.

icon

Best answer by s3narasi 12 March 2021, 06:48

View original

39 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@dude Just providing an update with some thoughts / info. I did see all your replies thank you. I’m not going to install software on the MA’s at this point as I’m not sure its required. I do believe we are following best practices up to this point. I will monitor the jobs all week and report in.

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Sorry for the delay. Intellisnap has been working great since changing a few options on the Datastore backups subclient and manually setting the proxy. I still think its an issue with throughput as the scheduling has to be perfect with no overlap for the MA VDS will freeze up. Also I run the Windows snap clean up that @s3narasi recommended on the MA’s themselves as a scheduled task. I do still have to update the CV environment to the last HPK as well so maybe that will clear up any remaining issues. Thanks for everyone’s help in getting us on the correct track.

Cheers

Neil

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s awesome, @Neil Cooper !  Once you feel safe in the issue being resolved, feel free to mark one of the many helpful replies as the Best Answer!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Neil Cooper , following up on this thread.  I can see in your case notes that you had some green backup activity and were investigating an Unkown Device issue in Device Manager, also that removing detailed snap option has significantly cut down our snap and backup copy down to literally minutes.

Is this issue now resolved?  If so, I’d like to srt one of the many helpful replies as the Best Answer.

Thanks!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Neil Cooper , are you now resolved on this issue as per your most recent update?  Want to be sure we don’t have any dangling threads :sunglasses:

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Sorry @Mike Struening 

I was late marking correct answer but I did it tonight!

Cheers

Neil

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No problem, @Neil Cooper !!!  Thanks!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Is this topic solved or in progress? Does not seems to be.

Anyway I have a same situation with HyperV mounts from a Hitachi SAN system with Intellisnap. Were after a while the snappool filled up. After releasing snapshots the backup copy cannot not proceed  (OS mount failed and VDS disk service errors on MA server (W2019). HORCM version is up2date.

VDS error is 1@02000018 in eventvwr

Manually mount does not work either but not for every snapshot. This is very weird. Same errors ID's here and deleting all incrementals and start new full (primairy snapshots) does not help either.
CV log : Error 60509 unable to find OS device corresponding to snap/clones
Failed to map snaps status 60500 : Snap Engine Error 0xEC02EC54 … MM.60500.
Failed to mount  volume unable to find OS devices etc.

Any idea here?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@HenkR 

Hi

I ended up updating the CommServe and all the MA’s too 11.22.27 . Also I lowered the detail required for the Intellisnap under the subclient properties. As well I only have 2 of 4 MA’s with the issue so I reboot them at least once a week. This made my situation with VMWare and Dell Depreciated SAN 90% better but still experience the VDS on the Windows side freezing and the CommVault Services freezing up as well. I have been through a few calls with CV support but the GX tail revealed nothing. So until we move to CV cloud it will be my problem. Also someone did mention a Microsoft script that you can download and cron daily to clean up and left over SAN / registry connections. 

Neil

Badge +15

I wonder why you think CV Cloud would solve the problem. It still requires a media agent as far as I know.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@dude : true CV Cloud can be a target library (but source?)

@Neil Cooper : where do you migrate your source data? (from dell to »?)

What do you mean by lowering the detail required in the subclient ??

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@HenkR lets not get off track here. My hope as a CV customer is to be able to manage everything as a Service so I don’t have to spend so much time looking after it. 

Here is the screen shot. Clear out all the options. My snap / backup copes went from 30 minutes each on an incremental to 5 minutes each:. Also I set the proxy at the subclient level as well to manually balance snapshot work load:

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

It was some kind of rhetorical question ;-)

Ah, that is different. Hitachi has not that much options ;-(

I am on the same level by the way ..11.22.27 (coincidence?)

I did some cleanup of hidden disk and reboot the MA several times no luck there.

Although the VDS notices were lowered but not gone.

Seems that I have to address this to Hitachi/CV support.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yeah its tough to narrow down and as much as I like CV Support the Tech’s chaulked it up to Windows or the SAN and tapped out. Also WRT to the version my problem was worse on V11. Right now I only see the issue 1 a week or every 2 weeks versus walking up to a sea of failed backup copes so I’m living with it at the moment. If you figure it out let me know.