Question

Metadata collection failed for virtual machine - Guest file browse will not be available for this virtual machine

• 9 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi all,

I would like to discuss with you following issue. There is an issue with backing up of VM machines.

Hence, there are strange warnings such as Metadata colletion failed for virtual machine, Guest file browse will not be available for this virtual machine, Used space calculation for volume and VM is not possible, as this is only supported for ntfs volumes, File system metadata collecgtion is not supported for (Unknown) volume

It seems that all vmware backup jobs are very slow...my guess is that there is something bad with vmware environment itself. There is nbd transport mode used as auto option. Have you ever seen any simillar issue? Where to start troubleshooting?

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

It sounds to me that you have enabled at the VSA subclient level the metadata collection, you get this messages when the file system of any disk is not supported for metadata collection or the disk is not initialized.

You can get rid of those messages by disabling the Collect Files and Folders check in the subclient and probably you might consider to change from v1 to v2 indexing as VM Centric operations do not collect the File and folder information during backups.: 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/135840_vm_centric_operations_for_virtual_server_agent.html