Solved

SQL AppAware backup job with servers that are not AppAware eligible

• 13 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I have a job running AppAware backups for a SQL server that supports one of our applications.  The server admin team asked me to backup two additional servers for the application at the same time as the SQL server. I tried adding them to the existing job but I get an error because SQL is not installed on the two new servers. The message says “App aware backup is skipped for Virtual machine, VM backup completed successfully”. So the servers are being backed up (I believe) but the error message is causing our operations team some heartburn. I thought there was an additional setting that could be added to ignore the AppAware error and suppress the message from the Backup Summary report. Does anything like that exist?  Running 11.26.36.  Thank you!

icon

Best answer by bcooksml 15 October 2022, 20:16

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@bcooksml , thanks for the post (and welcome)!

To confirm:

You have a single subclient backing up a few vms with AppAware, but only 1 of them actually has SQL?

Can you move the non-SQL vms to another group?

Thanks!

Badge +1

I would have to create a whole new job just for the two VMs. We group our backups based on data stores and these three VMs all sit on the same VM. They want them to run together because there is a nightly reboot involved.  So I could create a second job but it gets messy real quick. I’m just looking for an option before I go that way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@bcooksml , I’m not aware of an alternative option.  Setting App Aware at the group level is all inclusive.