Solved

Virtualize Windows Server

Badge +4

Hello,

I have a query to the community. A customer is asking me to create full backups of his virtual machine, so that later, in case of error, I can perform a restore of his full virtual machine in my vCenter. 

To be able to perform the full backup of his virtual machine, I must create a VMware vCenter Commvault agent of his environment in my commserve, and then in the subclient, add the virtual machine he wants, no? 

Is there any other possibility? 

We currently have a Commvault agent of that virtual machine but we are only doing the 'File System' backup.

Thank you all very much,
Best regards

😊

icon

Best answer by Sebastien Merluzzi 24 May 2022, 13:47

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Johana 

Thank you for contacting the community.

Please check our Documentation and let us know if you have any questions:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/119379_vmware.html

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Ter,

The OS of winpe doesn't have to match the client OS - its just a temporary environment to facilitate running the restore. Per docs, the ISO already contains drivers for both VMware and Hyper-V so its very strange that disks are not found. For virtualize-me the VM machine is auto created by us so it should just work. I think in this case you might need a support case to figure out what is the issue.

Badge

Hi @Damian Andre, thanks for the feedback.

I will open one today.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Damian Andre, thanks for the feedback.

I will open one today.

Thanks @Ter  - let me know the case number and I’ll track it.

Badge

Hi Johana,

Did you find a solution on this?

I too have same scenario and server OS is Windows Server 2016.

Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Johana,

Did you find a solution on this?

I too have same scenario and server OS is Windows Server 2016.

Thanks. 

Hi @Ter ,

You have 3 choices

1. Perform a VM level backup using the virtual server agent. This can be restored back to any vCenter environment, or even converted to a different type like Hyper-V or AWS, Azure etc.
  2. Perform a file system backup with system state
    1. This can be automatically restored using Virtualize-Me back to VMware. We will provision the VM, insert the CD, boot it up and try to automate the restore end to end
    2. Or; you can do the same process manually using 1-touch on any hypervisor. It restores using bare metal recovery
Badge

Hi @Damian Andre,

Thanks for the quick response.

The 1st choice is out the window as client doesn’t remember/have root credentials. 

So, went with 2.2 & 2.1 but, each time it doesn’t detect the disk drives.\

Then i looked at the notes on the media kit and i noticed it mentioned;

*To add drivers such that hardware (disk or network card) can be detected from wtithin WinPe, this ISo needs drivers corresponding to Windows 10 or Windows Server 2019.

There is not mention of windows server 2016 so, thinking might this be the issue.

Also, there isn’t a 1-Touch Windows Live CD for Vmware but just Hyper-V.

Do you perhaps have few pointers that can assist with the reason it isn’t detecting the disk drives?

Thanks again.