Solved

VM LiveSync to Azure - Test failover

• 8 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Good day everyone,

If a customer has Vmware VMs that are replicated to Azure using LiveSync, if we do a test failover, do we necessarily have to do a failback. It takes a long time because it has to sync the full VM back to on prem.

We would like to just test the failover, spin-up the VM to test it, and then simply delete it. we do not want to sync back to on-prem. We just want to power on the on-prem after the test failover and be back to normal.

Is it possible in Commvault? How would I do that?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 8 December 2022, 22:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Carl Brault , thanks for the post!

Performing a failover/failback is more involved process than just restore.  The full failover/failback is for a DR scenario where VM is down and needs to be brought up on DR side.  

Now, if you simply wanted to validate that the initial the backup is good then you can restore to azure and see if it boots.

However, to TRULY test the failback process, you’d need to let the whole process complete. The Failback does a backup of the DR VM and then restores it on prod side so the system is up to date which is what is taking a while.

Let me know if that helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Mike,

Thanks for the answer. 

Yes, I agree with you. There are a lot more steps involved. I need to keep that in mind.

Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Adding in, we can perform Test Failovers from the DR site and Live Mount a separate iteration of the DR VM that doesn’t impact the replication pair and DR VM…it normally isolates this VM so you don’t impact production. This would make having to failback an unrequired event.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks Mike,

I think that is exactly what we need. I’ll look into that.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it!