Question

Disable backup activity for VM for a specifc subclient

• 2 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

I have a situation here, after migration from 11.28.72 to 11.32.45, VM which were added using VM rules using VM tags appeared in different subclient of a Vcenter virtual server and it is impacting SLA since now the VM tag issue is resolved and backup in running under one subclient. Now i need to disable backup activity for the client for other subclient except the original subclient

currently the VM is appearing in only ine subclient of the vcenter virtual server which is JPAWP, and the VM is not available or not showing under any other subclient. But when we check individual VM , it shows multiple backupset/subclient and it is impacting the SLA. Now i need to disable the backup activity for the VM, for specifc backupset/subclient. Do not disable backup activity on client level because the VM is curently backing up in its original subclient.

Now i need to disable backup activity for the VM for all the subclient except the orignal subclient which is JPAWP here.

I am creating workflow to achieve this, please assist on urgent basis.

below xml disables backup activity at client level , i need to disable the activity of the VM client at subclient level.
<App_SetClientPropertiesRequest>
  <association>
    <entity>
        <clientName>xpath:{/workflow/inputs/client_name}</clientName>
    </entity>
  </association>
  <clientProperties>
    <client>
      <clientEntity>
        <clientName>xpath:{/workflow/inputs/client_name}</clientName>
      </clientEntity>
    </client>
    <clientProps>
      <clientActivityControl>
        <activityControlOptions>
        <activityType>1</activityType>
        <dateTime/>
        <enableActivityType>0</enableActivityType>
        <enableAfterADelay/>
        </activityControlOptions>
      </clientActivityControl>
    </clientProps>
  </clientProperties>
</App_SetClientPropertiesRequest>

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Neeraj 

If this is urgent and you’re expecting assistance to resolve asap, you need to raise a support incident for the Commvault support team to review / provide guidance.

I’d also suggest refraining from showing site specific content / data (e.g. server names etc). 

In the meantime, I’ll see what I can dig up and share with you.

Regards,

Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Neeraj 

Just so I understand this, why are we wanting to disable the subclient backup activity? If the SLA is the concern, let’s just disable the SLA option on these subclients?

Steps are here: 
https://documentation.commvault.com/2024/expert/configuring_sla_and_strike_settings_for_subclients.html

There are only 6 subclients so shouldn’t take long to manually update.. unless I’m misunderstanding something.

Regards,

Chris

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Neeraj 

Thanks for the screenshots and details question. 
A VM can only be protected under one Subclients for each backup set.

Your issue is that this VM is currently being protected under multiple backup sets and this is allowed. 
If the worry is SLA or errors, can you not just exclude it from your other backup sets on the subclients level outside of “JPAWP”.

This wont remove the data that has been protected so far but it will mean going forward it is only protected under the one BackupSet/Subclient and your SLA’s should be green.

Please advise if this answers your questions.

Kind regards
Albert Williams

Badge +3

@Chris Hollis  & @Albert Williams  
I will explain the scenario here

if we take a single VM, initialy before the upgrade to 11.32.45, the vm was part of single backupset/subclient and we use VM tags to auto add the VMs, it is not manualy addition. But due to the Bug in 11.32.45, the VMs were added automatically to muntiple backupset/subclient due to VM tag bug. but later the VM tag bug issue got disbled. and now the VM is part of only one subclient and active backing up only in one subclient . and currently the VM is not part of any other backupset/subclient except the orignal subclient. But since the bakcup ran in multiple backupset/subclient during those days when we had the VM bug issue, the footprint are there and it is listing in different backupset/subclients, since currenly the VM is running under only on one subclient and it is not running on other subclient , it thows SLA error. Now i want to make sure that we dont want to report VM under other subclient where the VM is not actively part of. so if w disable other backupset/subcleint of that perticular VM, we can exluce it from SAL reporting.

We have around 300 VMs reporting the same. not for a single servr and it is very difficult to manually disable it.

it is not only disabling the VMs subclient to avoid reporting in SLA missi, we also want to delete the data that was written during those days under different backupset/subclient (other than original subclient) , because it ran full backup in multiple backupset/subclient. I need that automation as well. full/incr backup ran for this VMs under different backupset/subclient only for those three days when we had VM tag issue

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Neeraj 

Thanks for the extra context on this case. I have a chat with one of the client support team members here in APAC and they advised there is some environmental context required to fix this issue up. For example if you are using V1 or V2 indexing. 

They recommended a support case to be raised as any recommendations made here could lead you down the wrong path.

Sorry i do not have an answer for you on this channel but given we are talking about the removal of data, a support case will always be recommended. 

Kind regards
Albert Williams

Badge +3

@Albert Williams :

Atleast for now, i am not looking for data deletetion, my simple request is to disable specific backupset/subclient backup activity of a VM , because VM is actually not part of the backupset/subclient. this is to avoid SLA. I will create a login to indentify the backupset/subclient which are not currenly not used by that specific VM and disable it. i al looking for the xml file to disable the backupset/subclient backup operation.

Badge +3

@Chris Hollis  @Albert Williams 

Atleast for now, i am not looking for data deletetion, my simple request is to disable specific backupset/subclient backup activity of a VM , because VM is actually not part of the backupset/subclient. this is to avoid SLA. I will create a login to indentify the backupset/subclient which are not currenly not used by that specific VM and disable it. i al looking for the xml file to disable the backupset/subclient backup operation.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

This has to be fixed by support, nothing that you described should be happening.