Solved

Aux copy Prioritization

• 7 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello everyone!

I've configured a File Server with a Data Drive and a System State Backup. I'm a little perplexed when I look at the AUX copy history because of the following numbers. For your convenience, I've attached a sample AUX copy behavior.

Commvault is not copying data based on date and is jumping back and forth in time.

I couldn't find any sort of prioritization system based on the date, backup type, or content.

Can anyone describe how Commvault prioritizes data for secondary copies and how that priority can be changed?

Is it possible to define a client-based priority for Aux copy?

Thanks in Advance,

Manikandan

icon

Best answer by Matt Medvedeff 28 March 2022, 16:41

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Manikandn , you’re most likely seeing jobs copied out of order because of how the jobs were written to each stream on the Primary copy.

How many streams does the Storage Policy have?  Are they combined at all on the Aux Copy?  Any randomization?

There’s a lot to unpack in the streams overview docs:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/10969_streams_overview.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Mike,

I couldn't respond to you since I was preoccupied with something else.

I'm not sure how Stream is the deciding factor in AUX copy prioritization and I couldn’t get anything from the link. 

My question is, I have 100 jobs in the Primary copy and the AUX copy is configured.

Now how Commvault prioritizes and sends data to secondary storage.

Is it determined by the job ID? or any other fcator for that matter?

Mani 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello @Manikandn 

Check the documentation here and see the section titled “In what sequence is the data copied during an Auxiliary Copy Operation” - https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/11545_auxiliary_copy_faq.html

This goes over the logic behind the order of jobs picked for an Aux copy.

Let me know if this answers your question. Thanks