Solved

Incremental backups not copied to secondary storage

• 3 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I have a storage policy that has 7 days, 1 cycle retention with two copies:  Primary and DR.  It appears that none of the incremental backups are replicated to DR.  Does CommVault somehow treat incremental backups differently than full backups when it comes to replication to the DR storage?

Second question:  I just ran a full backup of a small production server, verified that it’s only on the primary storage, did right-click on the storage policy > All tasks > Run Aux Copy > select Copy: 2-DASH-to-DR > OK > and get “No data needs to be copied”.  I don’t understand how I can have so many backups, both incremental and full, that show as only being on the primary storage.  Does anyone have any idea why my Aux Copy doesn’t seem to be working?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken

icon

Best answer by Ken_H 7 March 2022, 16:42

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Ken_H could you log a ticket with Support and send up a copy of the CS DB, it will help if we look at the configuration you have then provide you with some thoughts

With first question, could it be you have an Inc policy and only Fulls write to your DR storage policy

Second question, that all depends on the Selective copy rule, unless you have a Sync copy which should grab everything, that’s the expected behavior

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Thanks.  Incident 220303-508 has been created.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Looks good, will track this for you

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I ended up un-checking the option for Selective copies to secondary storage.  I had hesitated to do this since CommVault then shows the copy as Synchronous.  I had hesitated to do this as “synchronous” usually means “at the same time” and since the network connection to my DR site is much slower than the internal network in my office, I was worried that having a “synchronous” secondary copy would slow down my backups significantly.

It turns out that for CommVault “synchronous” means “all backups” and that the process to replicate backups to the DR site still replies on the same aux copy process.  I’ve made two observations:  1) Backups ran just as fast after changing the secondary copy to synchronous (by removing the Selective copy) and 2) It’s difficult to determine the exact delay between when the backup completes and when the auz copy completes but is seems to be fast enough that it’s not a concern

Thanks

Ken