Solved

DDB increase in (CommServe Job Records to be Deleted)

  • 16 August 2022
  • 7 replies
  • 138 views

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

I’m getting the following alert email roughly once an hour:

> Anomaly Notification

> The system detected an unusual drop in the pruning performance for the following databases in commcell <CommServer_Host>

> Deduplication Database     Reason

> HyperScale_Primary           inrease in (CommServe Job Records to be Deleted)

> CV Cloud Storage               increase in (CommServe Job Records to be Deleted)

> Please click here for more details.

When I follow the “click here” link, I see:

> 1   CommServe Job Records to be Deleted

This has been going on for a couple of weeks.  I don’t think an annoying email is a big enough deal to open a ticket for but I’d still like to clean this up.  Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?  I’m sorry to say the CommVault help pages for this are not very useful. 

Ken

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 23 August 2022, 22:14

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Ken_H you likely have an increase in Pending Prune Records, or a lack of decrementing (so it’s stacking up higher).

You can try to cycle the MA services on the pruning Media Agents which should force action on the list.

You can monitor the deletions in the SIDBPhysicalDelete.log files.

Now, if nothing happens, either the MAs are busy with writing jobs, or something bigger is going on (and I’d create a support case).

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

My understanding is that my cloud services are connected to my HyperScale.  Last Wednesday I put the three nodes into service mode and rebooted them all then took them out of maintenance mode but the errors continued.  On Friday, my server admin patched and rebooted all the Windows servers within my CommVault installation… and the errors continued. 

Weirdly, after all that, the last error email was Sunday morning at 8:06 AM and I haven’t seen another since.  I’m not sure what fixed it as nothing seems to align with the time for the stop of the email alerts but since it’s no longer occurring I won’t be opening a support ticket.

Thanks for the help @Mike Struening, I really appreciate your quick response to forum posts.

Ken

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

When this happens there might simply be to much to data prune within the time frame until the media agent receives new prunable records.

This could be due to the batch size for which pruning occurs every hour (by default).

If the problem occurs again you could temporarily try the following additional setting on commcell level “MMpruneProcessIntervalMin” and set it to 30 (minutes). Advised is to disable it when done testing, this can cause performance impact on the media agent.

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22MMpruneProcessIntervalMin%22&id=2135

 

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Thanks @Jos Meijer,

About 3 weeks ago I _meant_ to change the configuration of my Tier 1 production backups to replicate NEWLY generated backups to Metallic cloud storage.  Instead, I mistakenly started replicating ALL backups to cloud storage - including monthly backups going a back full year.  The first copy job took about 9 days during which new daily backups continued to be generated.  The second job took about 2.5 days and eventually the aux copies caught up but somewhere along the line these alerts about “Increase in Job Records to be Deleted” started showing up.  As I wrote in the original post, I thought I’d given them a fair number of days to settle down but they didn’t give any indication the cause was going away - hence this thread on the forum.

Everything is good for me now so I don’t need to make any changes.  Nonetheless, I’ll mark your reply as the answer for the next person that happens to stumble across this.

Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it!

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Thanks @Jos Meijer,

This happened again.  Starting last night at 10:30 PM I received a “increase in (CommServe Job Records to be Deleted)” alert email every hour for 12 hours.  I set the MMpruneProcessIntervalMin flag to “30” and within 3 hours everything was back to normal.  I’ve since deleted this additional flag.

Ken

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Good to hear that this setting works to mitigate your situation 🙂
I would advice you though, if this occurs frequently, to evaluate the performance of the media agents and storage targets. Assuming a normal yearly data growth the frequency to mitigate with this setting will also grow.

Reply