Question

transferred data for replcation job

• 26 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

i have a DR site with a vmware vsphere cluster. I use commvault replication to this DR site. I would like to monitor how much date is transferred after compression and dedupe.

Where could i found this information ?

I have a LAN to LAN 10Mb/s link and i want to understand what is transferred over the WAN.

Regards

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Patrick Bidondo 

Thanks for the great question and I am sorry for the slow response on this one.
When we are talking about “replication” there are many different ways to move the data from A>B in Commvault.

Given you are talking about Dedup and compression I am guessing you are referring to Aux copy from site A to B. To know how much data was moved and written i would use the job summary report and filter on Aux copy jobs. This will give you a job by job basis on data moved. 
https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/backup_job_summary_report_web_overview.html

Please advise if Aux copy is not what you are referring to and you mean true replication when we restore the data after a backup is complete.

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +1

Hi

You’re right on your last sentence, i’m not talking about Aux Copy.

I replicate a VM once a day. As the link between my two site is low (10Mb/s), i would like to understand how replication is working and how much data can i replicate in one day. So i would like to know how much data is sent over the network to the DR site.

I understood that there is a dedupe over the WAN to be less impactfull on WAN links. Maybe i’m wrong

Thanks for your reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Patrick Bidondo 

Replication jobs details are here in BOL: 
https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/replication_01.html

For Virtual machines a replication job automatically kicks off after the backup completes and will move the deduped data to the Site B and then perform a restore of that data. 
To know more details around the job you can look at the admin history and job type “replication”. This should show you application size and size transferred on network to know how much load you have going on. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams