Question

Usage of HPE StoreOnce as a disk library

• 14 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hi, I need some info about the usage of HPE StoreOnce as a disk library. Something like this:
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/102869_add_hpe_catalyst_storage.html

Currently we're using one HPE StoreOnce catalyst store for a disk library. This gives us some single point of failure issue and we need to try and remediate this. So I would like to know what options there is. Like could we have a disk library with catalyst stores from multiple HPE StoreCnce boxes? Like a grid consisting of 4MA's with storage from 4 HPE StoreOnce. So in case there's some issue/maintenance we take down one HPE StoreOnce box at a time and backups will continue to run.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @JQEI,

I dont think there is a good solution for this. You may be able to add multiple libraries under the storage policy (add data path), but I’m not sure the software would allow that for catalyst since it is kind of a unique entity. I’ll try to see if somebody has any suggestions...

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @JQEI 

You can look up for Hyperscale X or MCSS for storing backup data if you not already purchased StoreOnce appliances.  These solutions have HA with air gap security. 

If this is not what you want, i would recommend reaching out to TAM/SAM of your account and have PS recommend something with the components available in backup infrastructure.

Badge +3

Thanks. We already have StoreOnce boxes that we need to try and re-use for Commvault.

I’m wondering if this setup would work:

DiskLib_HPE_StoreOnce01_Windows (Disk Library)
- CommServe01_StoreOnce01_Windows1 (Catalyst store)
- CommServe01_StoreOnce01_Windows2 (Catalyst store)

So we’ll configure a disk library holding the “CommServe01_StoreOnce01_Windows1” Catalyst store as the only mount path since that is the limitation.

When that Catalyst store is about to be full would it then be possible to replace the Catalyst store with another one like “CommServe01_StoreOnce01_Windows2”?

So then new backups will just use the “CommServe01_StoreOnce01_Windows2” catalyst store while the old “CommServe01_StoreOnce01_Windows1” is not active but still available for restore purposes.

I don’t know if that is possible using the Storage Pools. Like if it’s intended for such matter. Because if so then maybe that’s an option. To fairly easy add “new” storage to a disk library. It’s still not quite ideal but less work than having to create new storage polices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

As @Damian Andre pointed out you could try to add all StoreOnce nodes based on their own management IP and COFC identifier, then add the data paths for each StoreOnce to one Disklibrary configuration. If successful you will be able to continue backups when a path goes offline.
But I never tested a combination of different StoreOnce nodes within one disklibrary configuration.

If not successful you might want to take a closer look at the following options.

Please keep in mind, I never tested them as I do not own StoreOnce nodes, but hope it will help identify a solution for you:

• VT replication, this way data can be replicated and nodes should then in theory be interchangeable in case of node failure.
  • Another idea could be, if you have VMWare for example, to use StoreOnce VSA.
    This will allow you to position a “software defined” layer which can attach to StoreOnce nodes via a VM-direct path I/O config. And then publish storage towards media agents.
  • Depending on your model and the capabilities present you could create a multi-node StoreOnce cluster. This might involve additional hardware such as an Interlink Kit.

Not sure though how the last two options would work with an existing Commvault data path.
You might need to start a new disklibrary and auxcopy the existing data to a new copy based on the newly created disklibrary. And when finished promote the new copy as primary so you can remove the old copy, clean up the node and add it to the vsa / cluster.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello to all,

In Commvault Air Gap white paper, I read that once data transfer is complete, connectivity can be severed by turning off routing, enabling firewall rules, or shutting down systems.

So, in case of a StoreOnce (as a Disk Library in Air gap site) is there any way also to shut down the HPE Appliance or at least to shut down its network connectivity?

In order to achieve the maximum security.

Thank you in advance,
Nikos