Question

Restore-CVVirtualMachine request body syntax

Badge +1

Hello,

Does anyone have a working request body for an out of place restore that goes from Vmware to HyperV?

All of the example and docs only talk about going from VMware to Vmware and i cant figure out what all i need to make a valid restore.

My main issues right now are i cant seem to get it to cluster the vm, add the nic, or put the vmconfig in the correct place.  I can get it to restore the disks to the correct place but the vm config stays in c:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\iDataAgent\JobResults\CV_JobResults\iDataAgent which isnt going to work.  Also, even though it does put the disks in the correct place, it also appears to leave\start with a copy in c:\windows\vmwaredatastorename, which isnt good either when the vm is large.

Here is what i have so far, like it said, it does restore kinda, but i would like to not have to to write some sort of post-processor to make it all work.  Doing it manually works great.

Here is what i have so far that i have guessed at from the docs.

{
"destinationClient": {
"clientName": "myplace.my.place"
},
"destinationInfo": [
{
"vmware": {
"esxHost": "desthnode",
"name": "vmname",
"newName": "vmname",
"dataStore": "",
"DestinationPath": "C:\\ClusterStorage\\dsname",
"disks": [
                      {
                        "name": "scsi0-0-vmname.vmdk",
                        "DestinationPath": "c:\\ClusterStorage\\dsname"
                      },
                      {
                        "name": "scsi0-1-vmname.vmdk",
                        "DestinationPath": "c:\\ClusterStorage\\dsname"
                      }
                    ],
                    "nics": [
                      {
                        "networkName": "ConvergedSwitch(management_compute)"
                      }
                    ]                    
}
}
]

2 replies

Badge

As long as you have both the VMWare client and the Hyper-V client in your Java console, go through the motions of doing the out of place restore and tell the job to restore immediately. You will then have the option to “Save as a Script”. You shouldn't have to guess what commands do what at this stage.  This is a job going from VMWare to Hyper-V.  I believe the setting you want to store the config file in an alternative location is set on your Hyper-V node itself via the Hyper-V Manager. 

Once you have saved the script the wizard will exit and will not trigger immediately. 

The command centre has a similar option for exporting the commands required - Equivalent API

Badge +1

Hi,

Ive pulled the Equivalent API stuff from Command Center and its not been overly helpful.  The syntax it pulls is very different than whats used in the payload im looking for.  I will try the java console though.  I have not done that.

Thanks for the idea.