Backup Plans vs Storage Policies

• 27 January 2021
  • 29 replies

Show first post

29 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Adding to this thread….

Let’s say a customer has been using old school policies since the beginning, has 5000+ VMs and at least 70-80 storage policies in place. Now such customer cannot take advantage of features available only from Command Center - e.g. VM snapshot indexing for Azure.

Does Commvault plan to introduce some kind of workflow\upgrade process that would automatically convert old school storage policies \ schedule policies etc into plans? I think that would be very useful for customers like me who find it difficult to redesign everything from scratch (e.g. new policy equals a need to make new full baseline backup, which in cloud for 5PB of data costs A LOT) :)

I believe there is one app in Commvault store that does the job. Converts the old school policies to plan. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=130123.htm

The link to the 11.23 version of this article is https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/130121_converting_commcell_console_storage_policies_to_command_center_server_plans.html

But I cannot seem to find an equivalent ”expert” link. This is frustrating about the new way of organizing the essential/expert documentation, if you are in the essential thread, there is no immediate way to hop over to expert.

An “expert” equivalent doesn't always exist.  The article numbers and classification are different.  

I hear what you are saying, if you are deep into “vmware” and got through the basic, and want to deep dive, bring me to the “vmware expert” docs.      I’ll figure out some way for this. 

Badge +1

Adding to this thread….

Let’s say a customer has been using old school policies since the beginning, has 5000+ VMs and at least 70-80 storage policies in place. Now such customer cannot take advantage of features available only from Command Center - e.g. VM snapshot indexing for Azure.

Does Commvault plan to introduce some kind of workflow\upgrade process that would automatically convert old school storage policies \ schedule policies etc into plans? I think that would be very useful for customers like me who find it difficult to redesign everything from scratch (e.g. new policy equals a need to make new full baseline backup, which in cloud for 5PB of data costs A LOT) :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Jordan 

Thank you for the reply. 
Currently we have around 200 plans configured and more than 50 are not being associated with any clients. That’s where we have to do the cleanup. 
My question is is it a good idea to start configuring plans instead of traditional way of configuring backups using storage policies and scheduling them by manually creating schedules if we have, in our case more than 2000 VMs. We cannot configure a single plan to backup all the VMs so we will create multiple plans and each plan creates separate storage policy. This will eventually create redundant storage policies with similar retention rules. I hope I was able to explain my point. 

Thank you 

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

In addition to the extensive and detailed explication from @MFasulo regarding plan, I would definitely recommend to adhere to plans instead of going back to the old school. Plans are the future!

You also see this back in the functionality that has been added to the solution over the last few months as they do not support regular old school storage policies anymore e.g. when configuring it through Command Center.

Onno I could hug you for this (when the world opens back up, come to NJ, all the scotch you can drink is on me).     Plans will continue to evolve and there will be features that you will only take advantage of when leveraging plans.  As we continue to look into incorporating ML based logic into plans for things like RPO adherence and prioritization, plans becomes an essential part of the future of Command Center.

Deal ;-) I'm a big fan of the idea behind it, because the concept is easier to understand for a larger audience and everyone in the field is implementing the same thinking so it becomes are more commonly used "standard". I do however hope that at some point in time some of the recent changes are reworked because to me the idea behind plans it is to pick the data, algorithms and use compute power to calculate best run time for the jobs taking into account:

• Run time
  • Last job result
  • RPO
  • Performance impact on client computer when using agent level backup to automatically start throttling resource usage to make sure application performance remains acceptable. If RPO is impacted it will send alert to inform admin to increase system resources.
  • Run backup related process with low system process priority but run restore related processed with normal priority
  • RTO (stream calculation and or possible chopping of the data into multiple smaller sets)  
  • Adhere to blackout window but to show alert when blackout window is blocking the RPO from being met. 

To summarize…… AUTOMAGIC PLAN :-)

PS:I still need to write you a mail regarding another topic. Hope i can make some time for it to outline my ideas. 

Hi Onna,

It is great catch for me about plans. As of now I though that the plans are just combining Storage Policy/Schedule Policy/ Subclient policy.

But, today I got some great magic behind it. Can you share any resource to more details about full advantage of Plans.

Thanks,

Mani