Skip to main content

Our proxy ESXi hosts are reporting:

Deprecated VMFS (ver 3) volumes found. Upgrading such volumes to VMFS (ver 5) is mandatory for continued availability on vSphere 6.7 hosts.

Our volumes on our HPE 3par and local are all VMFSv6. The prod ESXi hosts haven’t reported this warning. We cannot find these errant volumes.

This comes up during VADP backups.

VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 17700523, Commvault 11.20.82

I’m hoping someone else has suggestions or and explanation of this.

For the deprecated VMFS volumes found,  I was able to find the following via Google Search Results: 

https://core.vmware.com/resource/vmfs-upgrade#section2

Commvault does not have a way to identify the VMFS volumes in the said ESX Host.  If all of the HPE 3par volumes and local volumes attached to the ESXI host are supposed to be VMFS6, I would recommend to reach out to VMWare on this issue as the host is reporting the VMFS incorrectly.

Since is only happening in the Commvault side of things I thought someone else might have had the same issue. I’ve researched the VMware side and haven’t found anything. That VMware link isn’t really helpful here as we have updated all of the volumes. 

That is why this is so perplexing.

I understand that this is frustrating.  It is VMWare that is reporting this issue, not Commvault so that is why I would recommend checking with them to see why this is being falsely reported.   

@thospalm , following up on this thread.  Were you able to get any assistance on the VMWare side?

Let me know how things are going in this regard.

I saw you created a case for this and have the resolution here:

Nothing from the Commvault side, report wise we can run to identify the VMFS volumes in said ESX  host. 

If all of the HPE 3par and local volumes attached to ESX16.pmacs.upenn.edu are supposed to be VMFS6, then I'd recommend reaching out to VMWare on this, honestly, as the host is identifying them wrongly.