Solved

Snapshot of SAP HANA instances running as an VM

• 24 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi

Does any one have experience doing snapshot of SAP HANA instances, where the SAP HANA instances are running as an VM using vmware?

icon

Best answer by Sunil 25 January 2022, 16:47

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Anders Trier Rasmussen , are you looking to set this up for the first time and getting errors, or trying to do the backups and they are failing?

Let us know what you are facing so we can best advise :nerd:

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Mike

@Mike Struening 

Sorry, I was not clear in my answer. 

I am looking after if it is supported (and working :grinning: ) to use Commvault intellisnap to create snapshots of a SAP HANA database, where the SAP HANA database are running as an VM (linux) inside an vmware setup?

I know that there is also an need to have a supported version of SAP HANA, linux OS, vmware and storage array. But currently I am interest the combination of SAP HANA database running as an VM and intellisnap.

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Anders Trier Rasmussen Interesting question and I thought the answer would be a simple yes but I just learned this does not seem to be the case. Commvault does support it on AWS, GCP and Azure. Curious to hear why SAP HANA is nit supported in this way when you run it on VMware. For VMware the supported applications are documented here: here: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/14243_application_support_for_hypervisors.html

I noticed more application to be not supported on VMware like Mongo and PostgreSQL. Maybe @Mike Struening can enlighten us why support on VMware is lacking behind. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Anders Trier Rasmussen , @Onno van den Berg let me see if this is not yet supported, or just not documented (and can be addressed).

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Anders Trier Rasmussen , @Onno van den Berg 

I suppose we are not talking about App Aware for HANA here.

We do HANA IntelliSnap on Azure and AWS using our ability to snap the underlying volumes of the cloud VM. This is an in-guest agent which is taking the snap backup, not at the VM level. Similarly, with VMware or ay Hypervisor for that matter we can do HANA IntelliSnap as long as the underlying storage is snap-able.

At the VM level snap, the backup offers only crash consistency but not guaranteed to be application consistent.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Sunil 

Just want to be clear, so I fully understand you.

With IntelliSnap we can take a snapshot (application/sap hana aware snapshot) of the SAP HANA database/instance even when the SAP HANA database are running as a VM in a vmware setup - correct?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Sunil 

Just want to be clear, so I fully understand you.

With IntelliSnap we can take a snapshot (application/sap hana aware snapshot) of the SAP HANA database/instance even when the SAP HANA database are running as a VM in a vmware setup - correct?

Hi @Anders Trier Rasmussen ,

If you’re talking about backing up using Virtual Server agent - the answer is no. VSA IntelliSnap backup is not HANA application consistent.

If you are looking for Application/SAP HANA aware snapshot, we need to install SAP HANA agent in the VM and back up using HANA agent.

Thanks,

Sunil-