Skip to main content

Hi,

This question is for the workflow guys.

We created a workflow which monitors certain running jobs, which is scheduled to start every day, in the workflow there is a condition which ends the workflow when there are no running jobs and a loop which executes every 5 minutes to check the status of the running jobs.

In some cases, our jobs running jobs takes too long to complete, and we want to force our workflow to complete when reaching certain hours (For example 01:00 AM) even if there are still some running jobs.

My question is, is there any way to make the workflow run for a defined interval of time ? Here are what I’m thinking of so far :

1. Inside the workflow, before each iteration of the loop, check the time and if a certain time is reached, the workflow completes. For this one, I don’t know if the workflow editor offers the tools to implement this, or should we make it execute a script that we have to create manually from scratch.
  2. We have also the option to make it run for certain time through its Schedule Policy, in that way we have to make some tweaks in our workflow. For this one, since our workflow is made to check the running jobs every 5 mins, that means that in our schedule we have to schedule it in a way that the workflow is launched every 5 min, which also means more entries in the CommServe DB, and we are afraid to overload it with all the entries since it’s supposed to be executed every day and every 5 minutes.

It’s a lot of reading, and thanks in advance for everyone taking the time for it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

BR,

The simplest way to achieve this is to create another workflow that spawns your workflow and uses the timer activity in a fixed loop to kill the job.

thanks

chris

Thanks a lot @clecky for your time and feedback.

Actually, we managed to add an activity to be executed right at the start of the workflow, which checks for the current time and use its exit code a condition activity in order to finish the workflow.