Question

Get all Clients properties

• 19 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hello everyone, please help me understand if there is such an opportunity in the api? There is such a method - according to the cat, I can get a request from the developers of Commvault - GET <webservice>/Client HTTP/1.1 Yes, it returns a list of all objects, but there is not complete information about the object and there is a method for obtaining complete information - GET <webservice>/Client/{ClientID} HTTP/1.1 The question is that I have a list of unique IDs or Names and I want to upload full information on them right away, but there is no way in Python to do this. Is it possible to do this at all, or will you have to cycle through all the IDs and unload them piece by piece and slowly?

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@Andrey2024,

There is no api call that will return all of the clients and their information. You will need to first get the client id and then cycle thru the api call to get the properties.

Regards,

Edward J Holowienka

Badge +1

If I have 10,000+ device IDs, then should I make 10,000+ GET requests to get information on a specific ID in the for loop? Isn't it possible to add a new api method?

Regards,

Andrey.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

If you have 10,000 clients, yes, it sounds like 10,000 clientId queries.

clientId returns a good amount of data.   A single API query returning that information for every client would likely be a pretty resource intensive API query.  I imagine it should be relatively trivial for a script to loop through the list of clients.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@Andrey2024,

Not only to what @Scott Moseman mentioned but the return would also be massive and would properly be larger than what can be fit in a response.

Regards,

Edward J Holowienka 

Badge +1

Yes, it is not difficult to cycle through, but here is the second problem, that many of the data returned by <webservice>/Client/{ClientID} HTTP/1.1 is not required, which, too, to reduce the load and speed of request processing, could be selected via SELECT, so as not to unload all the data of each ID, but SELECT in as I understand it, there is also no such method to select certain fields to receive?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@Andrey2024,

That is correct, there is no way to request it to only send specific information. You will need to parse the reply and only take what it is that you need.

Regards,

Edward J Holowienka