Question

DDB Disk Library Migration

• 15 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Our new SAN for CommVault Disk library is Dell PowerScale H7000 OneFS, the library in production is NetApp 2750. We use Windows 2019 MA and ISCSI LUNS on NetApp. Since PowerScale H7000 doesn't support iSCSI LUNS  and Sealing DDB or Creating new Disk Library > Global DDB > New Primary is not the preferred path.  

Is it possible to create new path on current disk library the path on SMB share on DELL OneFS and disable the writes on all local ISCSI path’s with option checked  “Prevent data block references for new backup” we could do this to all local disk at once or gradually. Our retention is 90 days on this SP. So could I delete those paths after jobs age out and continue using path on SMB share.  

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@MaxJamakovic , thanks for the post.

You could create another path on the same library, though you’ll run into resource issues since the number of writers is the same though logically you’ll want more.

I would go the path you mentioned.  Once the jobs all age off, retire the library, remove it all and start anew.  Much cleaner.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi Mike,  I don’t think the resource would be issue as long the SAN can support all read/write IO but that can be tuned.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I don't want retire the library, the goal is to retire the mount paths on local disk and use only 1 path on SMB share, now I have 30+ path on this library. Not looking to create new library or Global DDB 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ahh, ok thanks for clarifying.  You’re right, as long as your SAN can support it all.

so essentially (and correct me if I am wrong), you have a Logical Library and you want to add logical mount paths and remove older ones?

If that’s the case, you’ll need to add the new ones, then disable the old one(s) for write access AND seal the dedupe store to ensure that nothing new writes to the old path(s) AND no new jobs reference the old blocks on the older path(s).

Once all of the jobs have aged off, you should be able to remove the old ones.

Let me know if I understood your desired outcome accurately 🤓

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Mike I want to disable the writes on local disk path and prevent the referencing DDB lookups for backup new backup jobs, the goal is not to seal DDB but delete the path after jobs are aged out and space reclamation is completed on DDB. Before I even add new path on SMB share I would disable the writes on all local paths