Solved

DDB partition consolidation

• 12 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi

I have a customer who’s migrated their backups off to another solution. Commvault will stay in place for recovery purposes.
They currently have 6 physical Media Servers (3 per Data Centre) with the following configuration. 

1 x short term DDB spread across 6 Media Agents.

1 x long term DDB spread across 6 Median Agents.

Effectively each Media agent hosts a portion of each DDB (short and long term).

These Media Agents will be decomissioned and the intention is to consolidate the DDB’s into 1 x Media Agent in Azure.

The Short Term DDB’s won’t be migrated as they will age off.

I know CVLT only supports 2 partitions per Media Agent, but can I run 3 partitions on 1 Media Agent and not affect recovery operations?

First prize would be having the 6 partitions hosted on a single Media Agent. Can I go this route?

Alternatively, is there a way to consolidate all 5 partitions into 1 partition, hosted on 1 Media Agent?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 12 June 2023, 16:57

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Mauro 

As far as I know there is no hard limit on the amount per media agent.
I would allocate them all on one media agent because restores do not rely on the DDB database 😁
And as you will not be using it for backup anymore, there should be no load issue also on the DDB disk location. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mauro I'm curious to hear why this customer decided to move away from Commvault. What is their new solution? As already explained by @Jos Meijer for recovery it really doesn't matter and there is indeed no hard limit. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@Mauro I'm curious to hear why this customer decided to move away from Commvault. What is their new solution? As already explained by @Jos Meijer for recovery it really doesn't matter and there is indeed no hard limit. 

I don’t have the exact reasons, although they are moving operations outside the country so it may be a head office strategy. 
They’re not unhappy with the product in any way, but not sure it’s on the global roadmap.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Mauro 

As far as I know there is no hard limit on the amount per media agent.
I would allocate them all on one media agent because restores do not rely on the DDB database 😁
And as you will not be using it for backup anymore, there should be no load issue also on the DDB disk location. 😎

Thanks so much!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

When consolidating the DDBs to a single MediaAgent in Azure and use it for restore-only, please remember to disable some housekeeping tasks like DDB verifications and Space Reclamation and such. Also, Data Aging will still cause load on the DDBs, but if it’s just for restore only that might not be much of an issue. Otherwise you could consider disabling Data Aging until you are ready to fully decommission the Commvault setup.