Solved

How to create multiple DDB on the same Media Agent.

• 22 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Dear all,

I am currently struggling with the following topic, I hope anybody can help.

In our Commvault Infrastructure we have 3 Media Agents, each with its own local Library and Deduplication Engine. On each Deduplication Engine we have 3 Dedup Databases, named DDB_Files, DDB_VMs and DDB_Databases.

I am now adding a new Media Server to the platform but I can’t figure out how to create the 3 DDBs for the local Deduplication Engine, to reproduce the configuration of the existing MAs.

May anybody be so kind to suggest me how to do?

Thank you!

Gaetano

icon

Best answer by William Dennehy 22 January 2024, 17:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Gaetano,

Thank you for reaching out. The three DDB are created when Horizontal scaling is enabled.  Each DDB is based on the agent type, _files - file system data, _VMs - is virtual machine, _databases is database agent (SQL, etc.)

Each DDB will only be created once a backup runs for that agent type. So, if you are only running filesystem data then VM and database DDB’s will not be created.  Later if you add VM agent then the _VMs DDB will get created. 

Media Management Configuration: Deduplication (commvault.com)

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Gaetano,

Thank you for reaching out. The three DDB are created when Horizontal scaling is enabled.  Each DDB is based on the agent type, _files - file system data, _VMs - is virtual machine, _databases is database agent (SQL, etc.)

Each DDB will only be created once a backup runs for that agent type. So, if you are only running filesystem data then VM and database DDB’s will not be created.  Later if you add VM agent then the _VMs DDB will get created. 

Thank you for your kind answer, it helped a lot!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Just one more thing,

has it always been like this? I mean, is it possible that with older versions of Commvault it was necessary to create them manually?

Thank you

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Older Commserv will not have Horizontal Scaling enabled.  The end user can opt-in to enabling it.  New Commserv will have the options enabled by default.

You can check the following “Enable horizontal scaling of DDBs” option is set to 1 which would be enabled. 0 would be disabled.