Solved

Isilon CIFS backup

Badge +1

Hello Community,

I am a tenant admin in Commvault so I don't have access to Commcell or Java console. But I can add NAS, servers, virtualization. I currently have a problem with NAS backups from Isilon and each incremental job takes 7 or 8 hours. The data size is 1TB and there are more than 2 million files.
I first added a NAS, i.e. Isilon (with array), using add server and then a CIFS subclient as backup source. Since we already started with version 11.28, I assume that the changelist for Isilon is enabled. But I don't understand why an incremental job takes so long every day. Strangely, I see that after a synthetic backup, the incremental job only takes about 30 minutes. But the next day it will take 8 hours again.
I would like to ask if anyone has had a similar experience. Many thanks in advance.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Mohammad 28 June 2024, 09:39

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @Mohammad 

My first thought would be the scan of 2million items are causing the long running job but if you followed these steps that should be much faster with the change tracking: 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/getting_started_with_backups_for_dell_emc_isilon_powerscale_using_changelist_feature.html

We will need to review the logs to confirm it is working or if there is a different bottle neck. A support ticket for this is best. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +1

Hello @Albert Williams 

thanks for the reply.

You know what I´m looking for, the time given in this table:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/network_share_performance_numbers.html

how is this possible? It looks like a fairy tale with 12 Mio Files.

I should definitely open a Ticket.

Regards

Badge +1

Update: The problem is due to not enough permissions. The documentation states that Job Engine only needs Read Permission but to create a changelist on Isilon Write Permission should also be granted