Solved

vmware cloud foundation backup/restore

• 2 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi,

i’m searching the documentation in the latest Feature release and i can’t see any informations about implementing backup for VM’s in a management domain and workload domain with vmware cloud foundation. i’m surprised because commvault curently cover a lot a virtualization products.

any information for future implementation ?

kind regards,

christophe

icon

Best answer by Sam Grover 4 June 2021, 14:28

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@christophe , looking internally for an answer for you.

Will reply back once I have something :nerd:

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello @christophe!

We do currently have full support for this! If you are using both the VM and Kubernetes piece, we would have to add both separately.

Here is How to add a Kubernetes Cluster.

Here is how to add a VMware Client.

Userlevel 1
Badge

VMware Cloud Foundation is just a packaging/bundling of other VMware products. it currently includes VMware vSphere 7.0, vSAN 7.0, VMware vRealize Automation/Operations/Log Insight, and VMware NSX-T.

Commvault is already certified to support the components of those products which we can protect/interact with.  Our normal VMware vSphere VSA protection will work to protect traditional VMs running in vSphere (https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/119380_guided_setup_for_vmware.html), our Kubernetes Agent can be configured to protect containers running within vSphere/Tanzu (https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/123637_supported_configurations_for_kubernetes.html), and we have a plug-in to support vRealize Automation.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hello @christophe!

We do currently have full support for this! If you are using both the VM and Kubernetes piece, we would have to add both separately.

hi Dan, i’m aware of the vmware on commvault but vmware cloud foundation is different in his implementation with management domain VM and workload domain VM backup/restore. 

regards,

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @christophe!

hi Dan, i’m aware of the vmware on commvault but vmware cloud foundation is different in his implementation with management domain VM and workload domain VM backup/restore. 

regards,

But it’s not different. It’s still vSphere. There are user VMs to protect living behind vCenter. We address vCenter and discover all the VMs to be protected.  If your customer has a complicated environment with multiple vCenters or VMware Cloud Director, then you can point to the multiple vCenters or define VMware Cloud Director as it’s own entity. In either case, we will discover the VMs living in each vCenter or behind the whole VMware Cloud Director.

If this is truly weird/different, please reach out through your account team to more fully scope the concern.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hello @christophe!

regards,

But it’s not different. It’s still vSphere. There are user VMs to protect living behind vCenter. We address vCenter and discover all the VMs to be protected.  If your customer has a complicated environment with multiple vCenters or VMware Cloud Director, then you can point to the multiple vCenters or define VMware Cloud Director as it’s own entity. In either case, we will discover the VMs living in each vCenter or behind the whole VMware Cloud Director.

If this is truly weird/different, please reach out through your account team to more fully scope the concern.

Hi Dan, this is not cloud director. this is vmware cloud foundation. our purpose is to backup customer’s VM in each workload domain. but we don’t want to deploy VSA proxy on each workload domain’s customer because this is a private cloud service. 

i also see the vmware cloud on dell EMC that is more closed to our needs. the exception is that we deploy on HPE 480 gen10 hardware.