Solved

FREL Login OVA

• 25 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

I’ve tried 3 different deployments of the FREL .ova with different custom root logins and none of them work - i.e. can’t login

Is there a default root password that isn’t listed in the ‘help’?

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 25 January 2023, 15:20

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

If you use the installation method which was added in FR26 by installing it from Command Center then you can specify the root password yourself. B.t.w. if I recall correctly even when you deploy it from vCenter you are being prompted to enter the root password. But there have been a few others who ran into similar issues see also this thread. Maybe it contains your solution as well. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Smartodd ,

Onno is right, please see the procedure in our documentation.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/143780_deploying_vmware_file_recovery_enabler_for_linux.html

1. Configure the client:
  • Client name: Short name for the virtual machine (for example, VM_LinuxFileRecoveryEnabler).

• Client hostname: Host name or IP address for the client.

• New password for "root": Password for the root user of the virtual machine.

Important: The use of the ampersand character (&) in the password for the root user account is not supported. If using an ampersand in the root password is an absolute requirement, you can change the password in the VM’s guest OS after the successful deployment.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Badge +3

I did not use an “*” in the password, but I see in other post that I need to use a complex password? Is that correct - I don’t see that anywhere in the documentation!?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

It is "&" you should not use, not “*”.

I think the password doesn't need to be complex it can be root for example. But you can try.

Also could it be that your keyboard is set to a different language/country?

I would recommend you type the password in the form under Client Name or Host Name where you can see it to confirm.

Badge +3

Thank you, but I’ve tried password and P@ssword!23. No luck.

I’ll try resetting password

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You can log a case with support. We will check.

Otherwise, the option is to convert a Media Agent to a FREL:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.28/expert/30837_converting_linux_mediaagent_to_file_recovery_enabler_frel.html