Solved

Storage size estimation for backup

• 3 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

I would need assistance to estimate the storage size for backup, as we have nearly 140 + VM’s new servers which need to be backup daily, weekly Full and monthly tape, In order procure the license from commvault i would need to provide the following details but i’m unable to get all the details as i’ve confused between application size, Total VM size, Backup size, when i download the VM’s from vCenter igot all the clients list including VM’s size but when i calculate the total Storage based storage provision space, the toal size is showing nearly 200TB but when i login to each VM and look up for used space hardly 20TB to 30 TB and few VM’s are growing daily nearly 20 GB so in my case which size i should consider and how do i calculate the total capacity and make solution for this?? 

1. Total capacity of data to be protected
  2. Total capacity of physical data
  3. Total capacity of virtual machines
  4. Total VM’s – 220?
  5. Total Physical – 12?
  6. Disk retention on both sites

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 3 March 2022, 16:00

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @EC3 !  Thanks for the post!

Your Account Team should be able to help you figure out the answers, though I can help with overall guidance.

In general terms:

• Size of Application is the scanned size of what we need to backup (before any dedupe, compression, etc.)  Basically Front end Terabytes.
  • Size of backup is what we need to actually back up including metadata
  • Data Written is how much is actually on media (so dedupe and compression factored in)

This is covered in this thread here:

With vms, there’s a bit more to consider because we back up the white space as well (for reasons including how files/blocks are marked as deleted, and more) so your VMs might seem to be 1 TB, but the actual amount we need to protect is far greater.

With that in mind, I would collect as much of the above data as you can and speak to your Account Team.  If you are missing anything, they will be better suited to help you collect that data :nerd: