Skip to main content

Hello guys,

Currently I’m backing up VMs in a Nutanix environment, and for this Plans for each VM was created for a better control and because we are using Commvault as MSP.

I verified that the backups are running as expected, but I noticed that some of the backups Plans that I configured to make specific folders and directories from Windows Server instead of backup what I selected in the Plan and associated to the VM it is making a complete and incremental backup of the VM.

So, I just want to see if this is a okay behavior or is something limited of the Nutanix hypervisor?

Thanks, :grinning:

Hi @antonio !  Thanks for the post.

Can you clarify what you are seeing (screenshots, maybe)?

Are you saying some vms are backing up the Windows FS as flat files instead of as a vm level backup?

Hi @Mike Struening, I think screenshots are better to clarify what I’m talking, :relaxed: .

So I this is a Plan I have configured and the Backup Content in Windows to make the backup of the D:\ partition:

With this Plan I have associated a VM, and in the VM Group I have this vision:

With this, this VM Group is associated with the previous Plan I showed in the first screenshot, and in that Plan the content to backup is the partition D:\, and this VM is a Windows Server, and at least in my thoughts the content that should be protect in this VM should be this specific partition, but it’s not what is happening. The backup is protecting the whole VM.

With this, I wanted to know if this is a normal behavior or something with any limitation of the Nutanix Hypervisor.

Thanks for confirming!

That content definition only applies to the File System Agent (if each vm had the FS installed).

For VSA clients, we will back up the whole vm.

I’m going to get the docs updated since it’s not clear here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/essential/86648_creating_server_plan.html

I’m going to create a doc MR in your name.

Oh, I understand, and thank you.

The VMs have the File System Agent installed, but only for restore purpose due the limitations of Nutanix that I remembered to see in the documentation when I was using 11.21.

If I wanted to backup only file and folders of the VMs itself, I’ll need to use the File System Agent installed and configured to work with this Plan, right?

I ask this, because talking in level of licensing if it will be the case in having the File System Agent installed in the VM, besides the VSA license, I will have a 2 types of license, one making a full backup of the VM (which is not the idea in our case) and the other acting like it is a Physical Server backing up the files and folders using the Plan we created in first time, is that correct?

Thanks.

You have it.  If you only want specific files/folders, then utilize the File System Agent (which wouldn’t ‘care’ that it’s a vm).

The Virtual server Agent has all sorts of features that you aren’t using in this specific case.

you also don’t need to utilize both licenses as you are already suspecting!

Let me know if that covers it!

@Mike Struening That covers what I need, :grin: .

Thank you for the help and quick reply in my question, you rock as always.

I’ll mark this as solved!

My pleasure!  Thanks for coming back each time :joy: