Solved

Evolution of a large files server from Win2k8 to 2k19

• 3 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello

I have a Windows 2008R2 VM files servers of 18TB that I backup by VM only with a name XX
I will change the server by another VM windows 2019 with a name XY that I will copy the files (18 TB)

When the copie is done I will close VM - XX and rename VM XY in XX.

How the deduplication will handel the copied data in the back end ? I have 14TB off free space.
What is the best way to backup a large VM like that. Continue by VM backup or switch to File system backup with CV Agent ?

Thanks in advance
SL

icon

Best answer by Alireza B 3 November 2021, 22:54

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi SL,

• In regards to deduplication, system will create a new baseline here with your first backup for new VM. It's going to be a new VMDK file (assuming it's VMWare) on datastore meaning data has new signature so previous dedup won't be honored on your first backup. Also please note when you copy files to a new location block alignment will change meaning new baseline is needed for dedup.
  • In terms of best way to backup the data, generally speaking backing up VM is preferred vs. file system backup however if you frequently need to restore huge number of files and folders, file system is usually faster.
  • Regarding free space that you have, the only option I can think of is if your current VM has two VMDK files one with OS and one with your data, you can upgrade the OS and then attach the other VMDK to new VM this means dedup will continue as is.

Cheers,

Ali

Badge +1

Thanks Ali
Detach and attach vmdk on the new VM is not a option. I have to change the bloc size format in the new server to be able to support a partition of more than 16 TB ( now 64k instead of 4k bloc )

The way I see it I’m stuck… I have to add more space in the back end for the new server...