Solved

how to use TLS in network topology

• 1 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi,

We need to secure the communication between the commserve components and our vcenters. 

SSL will no longer be used in our vmware vsphere platform. We must use TLS 1.2 minimum.

We use some Network topology but only those created at the commserve livesync activation.

if i need to create a secure communication between Commserve and  Vcenter what option should i use to be sure using TLS ?

kind regards,

christophe

icon

Best answer by Gopinath 1 June 2021, 22:32

View original

4 replies

Badge +1

The communication between the CommServe components and the vCenter do not use a network topology.  If you disable SSL on the vCenter Server, the communication should automatically use TLS (actually TLS should be used even if SSL is not disabled since it has higher precedence).  Are you seeing any issues with this communication?  

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Virtual Server iDA supports (SSL, TLS 1.0,1.1, 1.2) security protocols to communicate to vCenter Server part of protection and restore operations. With vCenter 6.7 TLS 1.2 is default and which is supported as well with VSA. VSiDA will not need to use a network topology for that, as it communicates directly to VC using VMware SDK. Cross check if you have any http proxy present in environment then configure/allow VSA machines there to communicate to vCenter server, in case any communication issues.

Regards

Gopinath

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

The communication between the CommServe components and the vCenter do not use a network topology.  If you disable SSL on the vCenter Server, the communication should automatically use TLS (actually TLS should be used even if SSL is not disabled since it has higher precedence).  Are you seeing any issues with this communication?  

Hi, thank you for the reply. i have seen in the backup logs with the VSA the use of TLS for communication. So it answers my question.i don’t see any issues with communication.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Virtual Server iDA supports (SSL, TLS 1.0,1.1, 1.2) security protocols to communicate to vCenter Server part of protection and restore operations. With vCenter 6.7 TLS 1.2 is default and which is supported as well with VSA. VSiDA will not need to use a network topology for that, as it communicates directly to VC using VMware SDK. Cross check if you have any http proxy present in environment then configure/allow VSA machines there to communicate to vCenter server, in case any communication issues.

Regards

Gopinath

Hi Gopinath, thank you for the reply, it’s exactly what i would like to know.