Skip to main content

Setup:
Commvault 11.20 
2 Sites ( Site 1 and Site 2 ); Site 1 as primary site and Site 2 as Offsite
Netapp Intellisnap backup for Vmware
Snapvault to Site 2

Have Netapp LUN presented as NFS datastores on the ESX infrastructure in Site 1

I would like some advice on how to get the vault copy restore working on Site 2 ESX infrastructure.
WHat are the configuration needed on the Netapp side to make this work?

Any advice is appreciated.

Hello @commvault , and welcome!

To clarify, what do you have configured now?

Are you running a restore and getting an error?

Let me know exactly what you have in place now and what is not working and we’ll go from there!

Is the offsite ESXi server where you want to perform the restore on a separate vCenter or same vCenter as the source?

Hi @commvault 

No need of any configuration on NetApp apart from snapmirror relationship. What really matters is the MA used from Commcell for doing the replication. As long as it has access to the vCenter, you should be able to do the restore.

Is the offsite ESXi server where you want to perform the restore on a separate vCenter or same vCenter as the source?  -- Comment:  Different vcenter but I already modified this option in my restore

“To clarify, what do you have configured now?

Are you running a restore and getting an error?

Let me know exactly what you have in place now and what is not working and we’ll go from there!”

--Comment:   I am trying to restore a VM from a Snapvault copy in Site 2 ( where my vault is located ). I am getting a “NFS server deny client access” from CVMA.  Also from CVMA logs it appears that the export policy from the vault SVM is being created everytime a restore is initiated.  My question is where exactly is Commvault basing this export policy it is temporarily creating.  I notice all the IPs from the export policy are pointing to the ESX servers from the primary site. Is there a way to control this to force Commvault to include the Site 2 ESX servers in the export policy

export policy rule is created for the volume. You can run “volume show -volume <name> -instance” to get details of export policy. This export policy is what will be used every time you try to access the volume.

export policy rule is created for the volume. You can run “volume show -volume <name> -instance” to get details of export policy. This export policy is what will be used every time you try to access the volume

--Comment:  @R Anwar So where does CommVault based this export policy.  To expand, I was looking into the export policy created in CVMA and all IPs shown are from the primary ESX servers. How can I ensure that the IPs from the secondary or site 2 ESX servers are also included?  The way I see it , Commvault is creating the export policy based from the export policy on the primary volume.  The export policy on the primary volume has been pre configured when those volumes are presented as NFS datastores to the ESX servers in the primary site

Hi @commvault 

You will need to add the IP’s of the ESX servers in the clientmatch flag.

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-cmpr-980%2Fvserver__export-policy__rule__create.html

You can review the current rule and modify/add client IP’s as needed.