Skip to main content

Hi fellows,

with respect to the Books online it should be possible to restore Guest Files back to the Redhat Guest.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/31969_restores.html

"Files and folders can be restored to the source VM, to a physical client, or to a VM with an appropriate agent installed. "

Unfortunately it is not possible to select a "restore to guest" during Restore in Commcell Console or Command Center (11.24).

Do I miss something? Is there an additional setting that I have to use for this case?

Regards.
Michael

HI @Michael Seickert ,

This is what you need to do:

• On UNIX computers, clients with NFS mounted to another machine can restore to that mount. Click the Browse button to see if the mount is visible.

• On Windows computers, the UNC path of a shared drive can be specified to restore files directly to the original virtual machine. For example, enter \\servername\sharename. (A drive letter associated with a mapped drive cannot be specified.) The Windows logon information for this shared drive must be added using the Impersonate User option.

The user account specified must have permissions for the UNC path to which the data will be restored. This user must be able to create files in the destination folder of the virtual machine through the destination proxy computer. Without these permissions, the recovery operation will not complete successfully.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Hi Michael,

for a more VMware guest host specific method, guckst du hier:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/136573_agentless_restores_for_vmware.html

There is no special “restore to guest” option, but the source VM is preselected in the restore options, even if no CV agent is installed in it. You may even select another VM. However, you have to consider the prerequisites listed under the URL above.

Regards,

Markus

Hi Michael,

for a more VMware guest host specific method, guckst du hier:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/136573_agentless_restores_for_vmware.html

There is no special “restore to guest” option, but the source VM is preselected in the restore options, even if no CV agent is installed in it. You may even select another VM. However, you have to consider the prerequisites listed under the URL above.

Regards,

Markus

Hi Markus,

thank you for your answer. For VMware you are absolutely right! But for RHEV … the option for restore to guest are simply missing! Please have a look at the attached screenshots.

Regards.

Michael

HI @Michael Seickert ,

This is what you need to do:

• On UNIX computers, clients with NFS mounted to another machine can restore to that mount. Click the Browse button to see if the mount is visible.

• On Windows computers, the UNC path of a shared drive can be specified to restore files directly to the original virtual machine. For example, enter \\servername\sharename. (A drive letter associated with a mapped drive cannot be specified.) The Windows logon information for this shared drive must be added using the Impersonate User option.

The user account specified must have permissions for the UNC path to which the data will be restored. This user must be able to create files in the destination folder of the virtual machine through the destination proxy computer. Without these permissions, the recovery operation will not complete successfully.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Hi Sebastien,

this is a nice idea. I am not sure if this is working (due to network restrictions) but I will discuss this in the project.

Best Regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

🤣 as you just wrote “Redhat” I thought you mean Redhat OS on the VM, didn’t think about RHEV. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hi @ all.

We opened an incident concerning this issue.

The result: Agentless restore (i.e. restore via the RHEV integration tools) is not supported for RHEV. This seems to be a documentation issue.

Best regards.

Michael

Thanks for sharing the solution, @Michael Seickert !