Question

vmware 8 support with 11.20 commvault

• 13 October 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +4

We run 11.20 CV. Need to restore a vm and it fails because we just recently updated vmware to vsphere 8.0 Will upgrade commvault to 11.32, but it will take some time untill we do. Meanwhile need to restore a vm and restore fails. What is the best workaround? Can we create a temporary older dummy host of older vmware version?

9 replies

Badge +2

It is possible to restore the files? And import the files within vcenter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Interesting approach to upgrade your underlying platform and not taking into account the stuff that has to integrate with it. Only workaround now is to or upgrade to FR32 or indeed create a dummy setup that contains a supported hypervisor. I would advice you to go to FR32 and spend time on that instead of spending time on a workaround while in the end you have to upgrade to FR32 anyhow. 

Badge +4

Yes ended up upgrading, but we were not comfortable for a few days until upgrade was approved and completed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I can imagine. So next time first look into the compatibility of the whole stack before upgrading ;-) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Vitas ,

You could have logged a case with Support so we could check and confirm the issue/workaround.

Also, you could have tried to deploy a FR32 VSA Proxy.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Sebastien Merluzzi adding a FR32.x access node to a FR20.x CommCell. Besides the question if this is even supported will it even work….

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Onno van den Berg ,

I have never tried, which is why I said “I would have tried”. 😀

The worst would be it is not working...

Now I have seen some environments where the CS was lower than the VSA or MA.

But I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, it’s just an Agent, this cannot corrupt/cause any issues.

It’s not a Media Agent which could cause issues because of the Commserve DB.

I wouldn’t try that 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Well in all honesty even if it would work I wouldn't go down that route in a production environment. Even an access node when equipped with the SA role can write data directory to the storage endpoint. These scenarios are not tested and are not supported. Even if it would work it just doesn't mean that you should do this, because you don't always know what happens under the hood. One thing I could think of all ready is the transfer/lookup of credentials to access vCenter in case the access node does perform this action. Between FR20 and FR32 Commvault introduced the credential vault which is conceptually different. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I have seen some, even VSAs or  FRELs. But then yes, only if this is a critical situation.

I would recommend to log a case first.