Question

Vmware VSAN Fault Domain support not working properly

• 6 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Guys,

we’re running on Commvault 11.28.69

Backup of VMs on a streched VSAN Cluster, where VSAs are deployed to both fault domains, enabling the use of hotadd transport mode in both locations.

The backups are currently assigned to any available VSA, without honoring the fault domain. This creates additional WAN Traffic and also has an impact on backup performance.

According to BOL this feature is available since 11.20

New Features for Virtualization in 11.20 (commvault.com)

I also defined bEnableClusterFaultDomainDispatch = true (should be default) on all VSA, but doesn’t lead to a proper VSA selection. Once the VM is not running on the same host as a VSA, any VSA is assigned.

Are there any further settings to enable (or the other way arround to disabled) that lead to a propper asignment of VMs to VSA ?
As a workaround, I now assigned the usable/wanted VSA now to each virtualization client’s subclient instead of the instance only. This restricts the VSA to the local fault domain only, but this is another option to think of, when creating new subclients for VM backups …

BR
Klaus

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @johanningk 

What is the default transport mode selected under sub client properties > General? Can you select Hotadd there if Auto is selected?

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Rajiv,
in general, I use auto transport mode, but I also tried hotadd explicitly.
My current workaround is : select VSA (group) to use in the subclient properties. This overrules the selection done in the instance properties.

Best Regards
Klaus

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @johanningk yes that’s one option to force the access node and manage the access nodes per sub client. After changing it to hotadd, did it make a difference and picked the required access node?

Also you could try to put the access node that you want to use on the top of the list of the nodes section this way it will tried for the communication first.

Let me know if that helps.

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello @Rajiv ,

Maybe I have not been clear in communicating my expectation / desired configuration.

I’d like to list ALL Virtual Access Nodes on the Instance of the virtulization client (vCenter) and like Commvault to assign the VMs to VSA in an optimized manor automatically. Chosing only VSAs within the VMs fault domain only and not from another.

defining additional subclients per fault domain and selecting the VSA from the same fault domain is a workaround for me and requires more configuration items and things to remember when modifying the configuration.

Of course the correct VSA is cosen, when restricting the VSA by defining them on the subclient

rgds

Klaus 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@johanningk 

VSA uses common framework to distribute backup jobs.

You can follow below document for understanding how the proxy get distributed.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/97216_backup_workload_distribution.html

If you want give particular set of proxy for particular subclient you can mention them under properties but it will got through the logic behind the coordinator node and working node.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/32272_vm_dispatch_and_proxy_selection_for_vmware_backups.html

I would love to explain the process here it may confuse  you, so I would suggest you first go through the given document and suggest if you have further query.