Question

Cross-tenant restore for o365

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello Community!

Is there any way to run a restore of an Exchange online mailbox from its original A tenant → to B tenant ?

I run a lab with 2 Exchange online configurations, but when try to restore a user I see only members of its tenant.

If there is any way, may be a good way to migrate Exchange online mailboxes cross tenant in case of Company acquisition or subsidiary.

Thank you in advance,
Nikos

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

A quick update to my thread!

Seems that is possible changing the Destination host !

Tested and work like a charm 🦾

What about OneDrive and SharePoint online?

Any feedback also about these o365 services?

Badge +2

Good Day @Nikos.Kyrm,

Yes, this option is available for OneDrive, SharePoint and Teams as well.

Hope this helps with the information you are looking with regards to the cross tenant restore support. Thank you!

Cheers,
Arvind

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@Arvind 

I dont have the setup to test this, but can we also

‘Copy / Migrate’ Mailbox data from an Onpremise Mailbox backup, into an o365 Mailbox

Badge +2

Good Day @YYZ,

Are you referring from the Microsoft side or Commvault side?

Because, I don’t see an option we can do Copy/Migrate as such from On-premises Exchange to Exchange Online.

May be you are referring this process from Microsoft: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/hybrid-deployment/move-mailboxes

Cheers,
Arvind 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Arvind

There is nothing in Books On Line

But if an On Premise Mailbox Backup is being performed - It will exist as a ‘source’

And I was hoping to check, that if an o365 Exchange Mailbox is also configured, that I can select - a Pre Existing o365 Mailbox, to restore the ‘on premise’ Mailbox items to.

I  dont have the setup to confirm this

(Please Note: This is ‘

---not really’ a full mailbox migration  (ie where CommVault creates new user Mailboxes etc)

---Those Mailboxes Must already exist - Its is the restore of mailbox ‘objects’ - eg  100 messages

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@Arvind 

PS: I know this is not Exchange - Its SharePoint

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/92416_migrating_sharepoint_on_premise_data_to_office_365_site_01.html

But I was ‘hoping’ to find something similiar for (say ) Exchange 2019 on-Prem to o365

Badge +2

Thank you for the clear explanation here, @YYZ . Got your question now, Let me try over my Lab Tenant and confirm you.
I believe it should be possible, but let me check and confirm as On-premises uses SA and Online uses the Modern Auth.

Cheers,
Arvind

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Thanks @Arvind 

That's amazing you have ‘everything’ at your finder tips to test

Regards

Carl

PS:

It might even be possible to restore

‘FROM JOHNS           Inbox folder                                 on Exchange 2019’   

‘INTO’   ARVINDS       ‘2022-Followup folder                   on o365

(2022-Followup - is just a ‘made up name’ for a folder 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Arvind 

Did you have a chance to test this 

K.R.    YYZ

Badge +2

Good Day @YYZ,

My apologies for the delay, I did test and thought I replied looks like I missed out.

I did test, and looks like we should be able to it - but only when we are performing the complete restore of the Mailboxes which exists in O365 to be created. 

Hope this clarifies with your query :) 

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello @Arvind  and @YYZ !

Since we confirmed that cross-tenant restore works (between Azure tenants), I would like also to ask if it is able to restore an (on-prem) Exchange mailbox → Exchange online mailbox.

Basically to succeed Exchange migration, from Exchange on-prem to o365 mailbox!

Please for your feedback,
Nikos

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Nikos -

Yes

But you cannot restore the ‘entire Mailbox’

The ‘Empty Mailbox’ has to be created in o365

After that; you can restore ALL of the objects that are on the on prem Mailbox up to 365

Example:

If the on prem Mailbox is called Niko1; I would need to create a 365 Mailbox called eg Niko1  or Niko365 or something that you like

Then I can resore Inboxes, Folders, Outboxes, etc