Solved

Exchange DAG Restore

• 26 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hi All,

we are trying an DR Restore for our Exchange enviroment. 

We have done the System restore of the 2 Exchange Nodes ( OS level only in vsa backup ) we added the disks and checked if the DAG is working fine. 

So we have an running blank Exchange DAG. When we try an DB Restore we get always this error:

Error Code: [72:106]
Description: Cannot find active copy for database [DB04] on [.domain], Exchange2013 can only restore to active database copy.
Source: exchangeserver, Process: CvExchDatabaseRestore

This error message is strange because of 2 things:

1. The we have only .domain nothing before no dag name or exchange server
  2. the Exchange Server is 2016 not 2013 in the client properties we have 2016

We also tried to create an new exchange DB in the DAG ( DB04a set overwrite and mark offline ) and tried the restore to this DB but same error. 

Do you have any idear ? 

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 5 May 2021, 18:52

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@SSchmidt , can you confirm what version you are on?  I found a case with this error resolved by changing the Exchange server on the iDA Properties from FQDN to Netbios name.  A further note said this is addressed in FR22.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hi Mike,

thanks for the hint. 

We are running 11.20.40 We have done the following steos:

• Changed hostname on all 3 Objects ( Nodes + pseudo client ) name without domain suffix
  • Changed und the exchange database properties Exchange Server Name: to hostname without suffix

Tried and restore.

Error Code: [72:106]
Description: Cannot find active copy for database [DB18] on [servername], Exchange2013 can only restore to active database copy.
Source: exchangeserver, Process: CvExchDatabaseRestore

We will no process an P1 Support case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Understood.  If you open a case, send me the incident number so I can track it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hi Mike, Sure. Case id is: 210427-184

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate it!  I can see the engineer is pulling a full log set to review.

I’ll keep an eye on it for resolution to share back here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sharing case resolution and marking as Best Answer:

- Fix for this issue is available on FR22. Kindly check with your customer to see if they are ready to get the version updated to FR22 latest HF.

I am glad to hear that the production is up with the help of Out of place restore. However, if the issue still persists with the In-Place restore it has to be addressed.

As discussed, you can check once if the issue still persists and if so, check with the customer for updating the version to FR22 and revert with the status on Monday.

Check with your customer and if the issue still persists, you can try the below step once.

- Since the issue is happening only with the selective DBs, it could be an issue with respect to passive copies in the "Failed & Suspended" state.
- "If the production is up and running", you can remove the passive copy if its in "Failed & Suspended" state, try to perform in-place restore to see if it works. If yes, add back a passive copy for the DB. Expecting it to be a cause as the passive copy was in the "Failed & Suspended" state when we last checked.