Solved

Help in managing very complex servers

• 17 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Good morning, please your valuable help.😊

I have a computer with hyper-v (20 virtual machines), and also has databases (SQL server); this client must backup the virtual machines in hype-v, databases and file system, for these are 20 TB of information. I installed to this client the roles of mediaagent, SQL agent and also as hyper-v hypervisor. 
The incidence that is presented to me with the complex of this client is the transfer rate that is too low, since I have other clients with the same roles and they work perfectly.

I would like to know if I should do something additional to improve the transfer rate, in addition to your advice on best practices for servers of this type.

Thank you very much.🙏🏻

icon

Best answer by MichaelCapon 17 November 2022, 17:28

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @FeRox,

Are all if the VM’s on the one Hyper-V Server or is this a Hyper-V Cluster?
If a cluster, you could install VSA Agent onto the other nodes and distribute the backup workload potentially.

To check regarding performance, we’d need to see the “stat-” counters in the log files here. These counters report on the performance (MB/Sec) of the read, transfer and write (depending on logfile) and may help identify any possible bottleneck. At the end of the job there are also “[Head” counters which break down the time and speed of processing/transferring data. (i.e. Dedup, CRC, Compression, Network)

For VM related backups, the vsbkp.log contains information about the VM backups.
The CVD.log contains information about the Media Agent side of the Jobs, including Library write performance.
We also have the CVPerfMgr.log which breaks down source and destination side performance of the involved modules for the Jobs.

If the above does not help you find a bottleneck then it may be worth raising a support case, so we can assist you.

Best Regards,
Michael

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Thank you Michael, I have put a case and it is already escalating to commvault specialized engineers, thank you very much for your help. ✌