Question

License for new server

• 23 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

We are migrating our commvault server to new hardware. We will be maintaining the current hostname and ip address of the existing server to the new server. The existing server has 3 network interfaces; 1 management lan, 1 remote management and 1 production. Current license is tied to the management lan IP address. The new server has only 2 interfaces; 1 production and 1 remote management. My question is do I need to request for a new license or I can use the existing like what is mentioned in the procedure?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  I have checked with our Server team resources and they have advised that  you will not need to request a new license.  The existing will work fine.

Badge +4

Hi

If the IP address of the new CommServe computer is different from the old CommServe computer, obtain a new CommServe license configured with the new IP address. However, if in the old CommServe license, the IP address was set to dynamic, then you do not require a new CommServe license. You can reuse the old CommServe license in the new CommServe computer. https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=4748.htm

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Do you have access to the XML file for your license key?

IpAddressType="DynamicType"

If it has the above entry, there’s no need for a new license key.

If your license key is tied to a specific IP address, it’s an old license key, and I suggest asking your account team for an updated license key which removes the IP address assignment.  Licenses have not been tied to IP addresses in quite some time now.

Thanks,
Scott