Solved

Media refresh without scratch

• 7 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello,

Is there any way to refresh media or consolidate without using a scratch tape?

I have an appendable tape with lot of free space but not completely scratch tape.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 7 December 2021, 16:53

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Sandy11 !

Correct, Media Refresh requires fully Spare Media (I suspect for stream allocation reasons, as well as spacing calculations):

Prior to running the media refresh operation, ensure that you meet the following conditions:

• Media Refresh is enabled on the storage policy copy.

• Spare media is available in the library.

• Media picked for refresh along with dependent media are inside the library.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/10532_running_media_refresh_job.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Thanks. Any other way to consolidate media? Unfortunately I dont have completely scratch tapes and procurement will take several weeks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hmmm….we can be creative, perhaps.

What if you Aux Copied the tape content to a Disk Library (which of course requires this space), then deleted the media copies, then Aux Copied it BACK to the tape copy?

You’d want to make sure that:

1. you have enough space
  2. You have the time to do this
  3. The content copies and is tested as being valid
  4. The content is valid going back as well!

Another idea is to look at the tapes that are not pruning and checking why….maybe you have some tapes aging off soonish?

Run a Data Retention Forecast and Compliance report for the library in question and let’s see if anything stands out (you can attach the html file and I’ll review it)!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

If you don’t have a Global Secondary Copy, then you might be stuck as you cannot mix different retentions and SPs on the same tape..