Solved

Performance hit during VM Backup

• 12 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

I’m looking into an issue with a VM that hosts a MySQL database. The MySQL admins are complaining about poor performance during VM Backups. My first guess is quiescing that is potentially causing issues. (Transport Mode is Hotadd)

The MySQL database is also being backed up using the MySQL iData Agent. This works without issues. However, the customer also wants a filesystem consistent VM backup and that is where the issue comes in.

Looking at the backup details and logs, I don’t see any issues.

Any idea what next steps I could take here? I’m looking at the possibility to take a crash consistent snapshot to test my theory.

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 12 July 2022, 13:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I would either:

• Host the SQL VM on a NVME datastore, or
  • Host the SQL DB on dedicated disk and exclude the SQL DB disk from VM backup, this will reduce disk consolidation time which is most likely the issue.

In order to check for the performance hit with a crash consistent backup, you can, but I wouldn't leave it that way. Way to much risk on issues regarding getting the VM / SQL up and running again.

Other option is to exclude from VM backup and use File System and SQL agent only.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Jos,

Thanks for your advise. You’re right, disk consolidation might be the issue here. I didn’t think of that.

I’ll check this. I’ll get back to this post when a root cause or solution was found.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Just to post an update. The application that is using the MySQL database is very sensible to quiescing operations. We’ll go ahead and explore the possible solutions that Jos suggested.