Solved

SQL backup query

Badge +2

I'm new to data backups. I apologise if my questions are too simple. 

Would the process of creating a Microsoft SQL backup include copying data records from a SQL Server database, or would it copy the entire image of the data volume (logical partition)? 
How does commvault locate the partition containing the database? Should I take a volume level backup in addition to a SQL data backup in case it isn't done as part of the process?

icon

Best answer by Aplynx 2 May 2022, 19:24

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The SQL iDA utilizes the VSS writer to create a snapshot of the database and backs up the transactions logs as well.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/87367_microsoft_sql_server.html

Badge +2

Thanks for the quick response Liam @Aplynx .

Clarification: If commvault makes use of the VSS snapshot component, will it create a volume-level backup in addition to the SQL application? Or am I need to perform volume backups separately? 

The reason I'm asking is that I observed the native transaction log backups on our development computer were located in the same logical partition as the database and was interested how database backups function. If it backs up the entire volume, I won't have to bother about individually backing up the native tlogs backups. The production environment is distinct; the backup/dump files are located on a dedicated partition connected to an external storage. 

Additionally, I was informed that our development team has begun migrating a few tables to the new drive/partition, and I wanted to understand how commvault does data discovery. Would it scan the data regardless of the partition in which the database data is stored? Or do we need to specify the partition explicitly? Apologies for my elementary inquiries.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The SQL iDA logs into SQL and gets the information from there. In the content tab you’ll be able to preview the databases that are discovered automatically. 

Backing up the volume itself is done through the Windows file system iDA. The winfs cannot properly backup the database \ transactions logs themselves for an active database, but you could back them up if the were in .bak format.

The additional setting below will tell the WinFS to automatically filter anything related to the options you choose: https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22FilterWriterFilesForIDA%22&id=4359

Badge +2

Awesome, that clarifies it. Thank you!