Solved

Problem with client name after Commcell server switch

Badge +1

Hello,

We recently moved Commvault/Commcell to a new server (same domain) because the old one did not have enough place on it for the disks backups.

1. We had it installed on a server named SPGEOFS01
  1. We moved it (the technician) on new server called SVGEOCVCS
  1. Now, the name on the new client still is SPGEOFS01

I want to add the old Commvault server that still exists and was wiped to host data (SPGEOFS01) 

But I get conflicts since the name has not changed to SVGEOCVCS everywhere and it tells me that the client already exists.

Did our technician do something wrong during the switch ? How can I fix this ? He says it can be days before he finds a solution.

Thank you for your help,

Felix

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 13 August 2022, 01:39

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Felix B. , need a few things confirmed:

• Did you move the Commserve itself to another server (with a new name)?
  • Or did you move a client from CommCell A to CommCell B?
  • How was the move performed?  Assuming it was a client, did you perform a CommCell migration?

Thanks!

Badge +1

@Mike Struening , thank you for taking the time to read my question !

What I was told from the tech is that when we received our new server, he installed the OS (windows server 2022) and then the Commvault application. He then told me he moved everything from one to the other as to keep the policies in places, indexes etc.

Sorry if I lack some information, I will make sure to contact him today to ask more details. I tried to look in the automaticInstall logs and found this : 

Have a good one and thank you for your help,

Felix 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I think you are talking about a name conflict with the commserve client.

In the control panel you can go to name management and select the option to change the commserve display name, enter the new name SVGEOCVCS. When finished restart the Java GUI 

Source: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/106658_changing_display_name_of_commserve_client.html

Has this action been performed after the migration to the new server?

Badge +1

@Jos Meijer Hi Jos, Yes this action was done ! As you can see in my first post, the image shows that the display name is SVGEOCVCS, but the name is still SPGEOFS01.

If that is correct :

How can this be possible ? :

Thank you for your time Jos,

Felix

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi Felix,

I am going to take a look in my lab to see if I can figure it out for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi Felix,

I have performed a CSrecovery in the lab and encountered the same name difference:

Tried changing it via the GUI, no luck.

I found a possible solution in the SQL database, but I strongly advice to contact support and ask if this change is allowed/supported and that this change can be made without impacting production.
During this short time frame I only identified the value and have not tested the complete functionality chain which might be related to this value. So again please contact support to validate.
If not, this is on your own risk as you will be manipulating the database without developments assistance.

Side note: Change the client names and ID’s I used for your own client names and ID’s, do not plain copy paste as your environment is different from mine.

Database: CommServ

Table: dbo.APP_Client

Identify the Client ID:

SELECT [id]
,[name]
,[csHostName]
,[displayName]
FROM [CommServ].[dbo].[APP_Client]
WHERE [name]='COMMSERVE'

Result:

Update the client name for client id 2:

UPDATE [CommServ].[dbo].[APP_Client]
SET [name]='WIN2022CS'
WHERE [id]='2'

Result:

Result in GUI after refresh client list:

Tested on 11.28.15

Hope this helps 🙂

P.s. before the name change in the DB I tried to create a client with the same name and this did not result in an error. The client was created without issues.
Looking at why, the client name is automatically provided with a follow up nr when the entered name is already in use.
So in this case I had client name COMMSERVE, the newly created client had client name COMMSERVE_1.

This functionality is also in place in 11.24.43 so the issue you are describing normally shouldn’t be an issue… you should be able to install a new client with the old commserve name.

Looking at unique identifiers for clients, this by default is the client hostname only.
So the hostname should be the only error generating value if a duplicate is encountered, unless you use the additional setting nAllowDuplicateHostName then this limitation is ignored.

Badge +1

Hi Jos !

Sorry for the late comeback, I wanted to answer you sooner. Thank you very much for the time you poured into this problem, you definetly went overboard to help me.

I had a lengthy discussion with our tech yesterday, I showed him your answers and he knows he is out of depth in this matter. He has a meeting scheduled with a Commvault expert next Tuesday and we should be able to fix this with all the information you gathered and the help of a Commvault Technician.

I will make sure to update the post if we find other helpful things,

Have a good one and thanks again for your help and your lab tests, real savior !

Felix

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

No worries, you’re very welcome 🙂
Looking forward to the outcome of your meeting with the Commvault expert 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Please wait with changing this database value.

As said before, it was only a value change and I didn’t know if this would impact production.

I found out that it does looking at cycling the commserve services.

I am figuring out what the underlying issue is, will be back asap with my findings and hopefully with a solution

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have identified the issue.

The following registry entries need to be altered as well to facilitate normal functioning of the Commserve communication service, when not changed it will crash.

Keep in mind, use your own client name values as your environment is different from mine.

Mandatory changes:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\CommServe

Key:
sCSCLIENTNAME

Value:
Change from old value COMMSERVE to new value WIN2022CS

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\Database

String Value:
sDOMAIN

Value:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\Machines

Delete key with new name WIN2022CS (this only refers to the existing sGUID)
Rename key with old name COMMSERVE to new name WIN2022CS

Optional change:

This depends of the webserver package is installed on the commserve, if not ignore this change.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\WebServer

String Value:
sWebServerClient

Value:

Tested some functionality in during this investigation.

After the changes I found that there were no apparent errors needing investigation at this point.
Job management, media agent management, webserver, alerting, all seem to work as expected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

p.s. I have initiated a support call in an attempt to get this solution verified and supported.
Fingers crossed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

From discussions with people within Commvault, some issues came forward.

One for example is if you have existing network topologies, the reference in the fwconfig.txt also uses this Commserve client name. So if changed only on the Commserve, this could introduce connection failures.

This name correction needs a lot more attention before it can be considered to be a valid and complete solution. To be continued..