Skip to main content
Question

How to monitor progress of data recovery on a replacement drive

• 17 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello fellow CommVault users,

I run a three node HyperScale 1.5 media agent on HPE reference hardware and recently one of the drives failed. I’ve replaced the failed drive and have started the recovery process to rebuild the contents of the drive.

Question: Is there a command that can be run to show the percent complete on the rebuild process?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Ken

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Ken_H 

Do keep an eye on the utilization of the disk.  Once it matches the other disks, it should be Online.

Also, you can check the heals pending for the disk by running gluster v heal $(gluster v list) info.

Regards,

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I’ve seen replacement drives appear as Online even while they were 1.3TB smaller than other drives on the server so matching the space used to other drives doesn’t seem to be a good way to estimate when the rebuild will be complete.

Running the “gluster v heal HyperScale info” command lists every single block (segment? file?) that needs to be healed and on a newly replaced drive, but these count into the hundreds of thousands. I tried to filter them out using:

gluster v heal HyperScale info | grep -v gfid | grep -v Folder_

And this gives:

Brick inf-srvp110sds.apacorp.net:/ws/disk1/ws_brick
Number of entries: 0

Brick inf-srvp111sds.apacorp.net:/ws/disk1/ws_brick

Brick inf-srvp112sds.apacorp.net:/ws/disk1/ws_brick

Brick inf-srvp110sds.apacorp.net:/ws/disk2/ws_brick
Number of entries: 1

Brick inf-srvp111sds.apacorp.net:/ws/disk2/ws_brick
Number of entries: 371113

Brick inf-srvp112sds.apacorp.net:/ws/disk2/ws_brick
Number of entries: 357442

Unfortunately, the output never completed even after being left to run for 20 hours. Long story short, there doesn’t appear to be a way to monitor the heal process.

Ken