Question

1-touch recovery / Linux / Backup networks

• 2 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Considering that 1-touch backup and backup networks are pretty common things, I’m surprised at the issue I’m having trying to do a 1-touch recovery over a backup network.

Whether I’m using a ReaR based recovery or the 1-touch ISO, the restore client that fires up doesn’t seem to get the backup network configuration and the restore is attempted over the primary interfaces.  The restore client tries to talk to the MA over DNS IP and vice versa.  Considering we have backup networks, that data path is firewalled.

I’ve managed to make it work, but it is a PITA as I have to add to the hosts file of the client the name of every MA and the matching backup interface IP, and I have to add the restore client backup IP and hostname to the /etc/hosts of every MA.

So how do others do 1-touch recovery and backup networks?   I can’t be the first person to have encountered this.

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Why not just setup a backup network in commvault?

Dedicated Backup Network (commvault.com)

Badge +2

I have that setup for backup and that is working.

The restore client is not observing the configuration and trying to use the primary network.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Then that means something is wrong. The 1-touch setup should follow whatever network rules you have defined. It’s part of the metadata it colllects during backup. Have you raised a case with commvault?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Erik Soosalu 

Whats the client hostname defined in the commvault.

Please connect to the source and run commvault status that will show the hostname. If the host FQDN points a the primary IP then it will try using it. 

You may try changing the hostname to the backup IP (Desired network) and rerun the restore.

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

Badge +2

Then that means something is wrong. The 1-touch setup should follow whatever network rules you have defined. It’s part of the metadata it colllects during backup. Have you raised a case with commvault?

It should, but it doesn’t.   I haven’t raised a case yet as I’m working through a different recovery issue case first.

Badge +2

Hi @Erik Soosalu 

Whats the client hostname defined in the commvault.

Please connect to the source and run commvault status that will show the hostname. If the host FQDN points a the primary IP then it will try using it. 

You may try changing the hostname to the backup IP (Desired network) and rerun the restore.

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

The client hostname is defined in DNS as the primary IP.  

If we have backup networks defined, the restore should be using the backup network, not using some other data communication that isn’t defined.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Erik Soosalu 

Are you using data interface pairs to use the backup network on the source? 

During the restore you many navigate to the client that gets created with _Recovery and add a data interface pairs to use the backup network.

Regards,

Badge +2

Hi @Erik Soosalu 

Are you using data interface pairs to use the backup network on the source? 

During the restore you many navigate to the client that gets created with _Recovery and add a data interface pairs to use the backup network.

Regards,

I am using data interface pairs (backup networks applied to the client via groups).  

Why would I have to manually, in the middle of the restore process, find the _Recovery client and apply the group?   The recovery client should be taking the exact same configuration as the original client.