Solved

3rd party storage replication

Badge +2

Hi All,

i want to configure 3rd party storage replication between 2 Commvault sites (every site has a Media Agent) , instead of using a dash/aux copy.

is this supported? What is the way for restoring from DR site when doing a failover after a crisis? Can we just scan the CIFS share on the DR media agent and restore all data?

thanks.

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 30 May 2022, 14:11

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Eyal 

This is not supported, the only way to replicate to a DR site is via Aux copy. Any data migrated outside of Commvault cannot be restored by Commvault. The CS DB would have record of the transfer of data outside the software and would not be able to recover it.

Badge +2

Matt,

Just found this on documentation , maybe this can help ?

For appliances or disk systems that use their own replication, CV has a ‘Replicated Library’ function.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/146761_replica_libraries.html

CV will understand both copies of the data and will be able to restore from the replicated copy.

Also , if I replicate the data with storage replication , is possible to use the same MA (after restoring it as the Prod MA  - same name/ip address/mdb) and rescan the replicated data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Eyal why would you want switch from aux-copy to a third-party based storage replication solution. would like to understand the reasoning and the use-case here. using dash-aux copy also has some big advantages so would like to hear you reasoning first.

Badge +2

Hi Onno,

since we changed the primary library to NAS with CIFS share (instead of using library with FC protocol) , there is a performance degradation with the Aux copy jobs , about X10 slower than the current aux jobs.

I'm trying to figure out why the aux copy is taking to long to complete , did some tuning with the storage policy - nothing helped.

so , I want to replicate the data with the storage replication instead , but I need to know what is the process of doing a failover to the DR site and restore the data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Eyal,

So you'd swapped storage appliances and changed the way you interface to the storage. It brings up so many other question. But just moving to storage replication because of this without opening a ticket doesn't sound like a smart plan. So assuming the new storage array that you are leveraging is comparable when it comes to the performance that it should be able to deliver I really urge you to open a ticket. In addition are you running the latest and greatest Commvault version? Have you for example applied AV exclusions? How about recovery performance?