Skip to main content

Hello friends,

Trying to install first time media agent on active directory server ( newly promoted additional domain controller 2019 server ) .In the credentials section, providing domainname\<domainadmin> and the password  and also tried domainname\<administrator> and password but the installation fails with the message.

“Failed to install File System Core Package, the credentials entered may not have permission to use WMI on remote machine. Please check WMI configuration and user credentials.

while I installed the agent easily for another windows server 2019 joined to domain by using local credentials of the server.”

Where am I going wrong. tried even using .\administrator and the password but it makes reason to fail as the server once promoted to domain controller will no longer hold local admin.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hello @mirza Sounds like you are attempting the install via push install from the Java Console?

This could be WMI is disabled or Windows firewall is enabled and blocking the port

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/1971_prerequisites_for_installations_using_commcell_console.html

Specifically, this section in above link:

• For Windows computers, do the following:

• Open Port 135 for DCOM (Distributed Component Model).

• Open Port 139 for NetBIOS Session Service (if you are using legacy Windows computers, such as Windows NT or earlier versions).

• Open Port 445 for SMB (Server Message Block) file sharing.

• Open the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) port. For instructions on setting up a fixed port for WMI, see Setting Up a Fixed Port for WMI on the Microsoft website.

• Important: If Windows Firewall is enabled on the computer, do one of the following:

• Temporarily open the following ports in Windows Firewall:

- Port 135 for DCOM-In (COM + Network Access)

- Port 445 for SMB

- WMI port

• Set up a remote cache in the network where the computer resides.

• Important: For a Windows 10 computer, if Windows Defender Firewall is enabled on the computer, open Port 135 for DCOM-In (COM + Network Access) and Port 445 for SMB in Windows Defender Firewall, and then do one of the following:

• Enable the Windows Management Instrumentation rule (for Private, Public, and Domain) in the Inbound Rules of Windows Defender Firewall.

• Enable the "Allow inbound remote administrator exception" in the Local Group Policy Editor (Local Group Policy Editor > Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > Network > Network Connections > Windows Defender Firewall > Domain Profile > Allow inbound remote administrator exception).

Thanks Scott

AS you mentioned, I was pushing the agent from commcell console which kept failing even though the windows firewall as disabled.

Tried interactive installation i.e. form the server itself , worked fine.