Skip to main content

I’m in a bit of a pickle.  My OneDrive backups fail and the solution recommended by CommVault support is to upgrade to the V2 client.  Unfortunately support staff won’t help because the V2 upgrade is not “break / fix” and I don’t have the $$$ to hire CV professional services.  

Has anyone upgraded their O365 client from V1 to V2 themselves?  Are there any good websites that walk through how to do this? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

Hello @Ken_H 

I can not comment on the websites with walk through steps however the best option would be to leverage the guided setup in CommandCenter.

This is wizard based and will walk you through the setup step by step. Best to use Express method just need Office 365 global administrator account and to temporarily disable multi-factor authentication for that account.
https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/142444_complete_office_365_guided_setup_for_onedrive_for_business.html

Hello @Ken_H 

There is a workflow “Upgrade to Indexing V2 workflow” in Commvault store which can be leveraged to upgrade the indexes to V2. Executing it is straight forward task. All Supported IDA’s should be listed in the Workflow.

Note: Upgrade to V2 index would force a full backup (as new index would be generated) it is the expected behavior. The best thing would be to convert to V2 index when the full backup is due in less than 24hrs. 

Please let us know if you need any further help on this.

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief 
That is not valid for this query. That is for agents that can be migrated to v2 indexing V1 and V2 agents for Exchange/onedrive,etc are not valid for this workflow.

Its noted in BOL

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/10755_agents_that_use_indexing_indexing_version_1_and_indexing_version_2.html

This is unrelated to Ken_H query. That workflow is suited for VSA/FS and small number of other agents.

@Scott Reynolds

I went into Command Center > Manage > Plans > Create plan > Office 365 > OneDrive Backup Plan > 3 year retention > OK.

Then:  Protect > Office 365 > Add Office 365 app > OneDrive for Business > Name: OneDrive_V2 > but could not find Plan created in previous step.

After some mucking around I tried creating a “Server” plan instead of an “Office 365” plan.  Manage > Plans > Create plan > “Server backup” > 1. Create new plan, name: Office365_Backup_Plan > Next > 2. Backup Destinations > Add Copy > Name: Primary, Storage: HyperScale, Retention: 3 years > Save > Next > 3. Recovery Point Objective > Backup frequency: Run incremental daily at 5:00 PM, Backup Window Monday through Sunday: All day, Full backup window: Monday through Sunday: All day > Next > 4. Backup Content > Content to backup: All contents, Exclude: Nothing, Backup system state: On, Check: Use VSS for system state, Uncheck: Only with full backup > Next > 5. Options & Restrictions > Accept all defaults (Snapshot options: Check Retention period: 1 months, Enable backup copy: On, Backup copy RPO: 4 hours 0 minutes, Database options, Log backup RPO: 4 hours 0 minutes, Use disk cache for log backups: Off, Override restrictions: Allow plan to be overridden: Off) > Submit.

Now when I go to Protect > Office 365 > Add Office 365 app > OneDrive for Business > Name: OneDrive_V2 > Server Plan: Office365_Backup_Plan (yay!) > Index Server: O365_Indexes > Access nodes: I’m not able to select the mailbox proxy INF-SRVP113.  To fix this I switched to the java GUI > navigate to INF-SRVP113 > right-click > All tasks > Add/Remove Software > Install Software to open the Install Wizard > Next > Select Software Cache window: no changes > Next > Under Applications, add a checkmark to Office 365 > Next > Enter Recommended Settings: no changes > Next > Enter Additional Install Options: No changes > Next > Optional Settings: No changes > Next > Please Select When to Run The Job: accept default of Immediate > Next > Review Summary > Finish.  Installation took about 20 minutes.

Switching back to the Command Center: Protect > Office 365 > Add Office 365 App > OneDrive for Business > OneDrive_V2 > Server plan: Office365_Backup_Plan > Index Server: O365_Indexes > Access nodes: INF-SRVP113 > OK > Office 365 cloud region: Default (Global Service) > Configuration mode: Check Express configuration (Recommended) > Global Administrator credentials: Global Administrator: APACORP\as-khemmerling, Password: xxx, uncheck Save Global Administrator credentials for future use, Review and confirm the following requirements: Add check to Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is turned off > click Create Azure app.  

And that’s when I learned my account is not a global admin in Azure.  Sigh.  I’ll find someone with the proper access and try this again.

@Ken_H 

Sounds like you got it sorted out. Once you get global admin you can complete that and add multiple apps. Then final config is to set it to backup all users (and automatically discover and backup any new users) https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/135989_adding_all_users_to_onedrive_for_business_app.html

Attempts to use the Express Setup and a global admin account failed as well.  I attempted to use the Custom Setup using the Application IDs / Secret Keys / and Directory IDs created previously for the classic V1 client and this worked and I was able to back up my OneDrive.  I’ve added a total of 9 OneDrive users to the new plan and the most recent backup has been running for 19 hours and is reporting 85% complete.  For reference, the largest OneDrive being backed up is 95GB and the total for all OneDrives being backed up is 134GB - not what I’d consider a huge amount of data.

So… still a struggle.

@Ken_H 

The first backup to establish a baseline could take longer. Also on the app IDs, etc you should have multiple. At least 5 apps configured this helps prevent throttling on the MS side and can greatly improve performance.

The 19 hour job is actually the third backup.  The first backup of 9 OneDrives took 3.75 hours, the second 1.25 hours, and the third 19 hours exactly.  All three jobs finished with a status of “completed  with one or more errors”.  

Also:  I’ve got the new plan configured with 5 Azure apps although they are shared with the original subclient running the V1 M365 client so maybe there’s a conflict with multiple OneDrive backups running at the same time.

The average backup time for 9 OneDrives is 8 hours.  At this rate it will take 17 days to back up all 481 OneDrives.  That’s going to be tough.  Having said that, my V1 client ran a backup for 14.5 days and never finished so 17 days (assuming it finishes) is an improvement over what I have now.

Our Corporate backup policy is to run production incremental backups daily so I’m in violation of our policy right now.

Just some background:  I have ticket 221222-553 open because OneDrive backups aren’t aging out properly and the recommended solution was to upgrade to the M365 V2 client.  I asked if the support analyst and I could have a online meeting to take care of this (multiple times) and was told No.  So I’m trying the upgrade on my own and it’s not going well.  In addition to the original ticket about backups not expiring, I now have ticket 230109-639 open about not able to perform restores from the V2 backups and 230110-617 to deal with slow backup performance.  If anyone from CommVault management sees this, I’d encourage you to empower your staff to solve your clients problems.  It would avoid a lot of frustration for everyone involved.