Skip to main content

Hello, 

Our database administrators have requested that the ArchiveLogs for the last 5 days remain on the client. So we have tried to set this via Commvault. The result was that the Archive Log backup, which normally only takes up 30 to 40 GB on the backup storage, has now grown to 400 GB. 
Can I set up the backup in Commvault so that only the archive logs that Commvault does not yet have are backed up, but then they are not deleted for a period of 5 days?

Regards

Thomas

Yes, you can do it. In the Advanced Backup options dialog, we need to set this option to backup only logs which are not backed up at least 1 time. Test this option and see if this suits your need.

Thanks,

Sunil

Hello @Sunil

Thank you for the quick reply. We will test the setting. I will get back to you with the result. 

Regards

Thomas

One more thing caught my eye. With this option Commvault would only include archive logs in the backup that were not backed up. However, the option is missing here that all remaining archive logs older than 5 days are also deleted or do the database administrators have to do this?

Deletion can also be controlled. Advanced Archive Delete options are present in the next tab.

You can try this.

Thanks,

Sunil

Hello,
unfortunately we have not yet managed to change the settings
to test the settings. But we will do this next Monday. I will report back then. 

Hello @Sunil , 

We have now adjusted the settings and can now report that we now leave the logs on the system for 5 days, as requested, but the logs in the backup do not grow as much. Therefore, this issue can be closed as successfully resolved. 

Thank you 
Regards

Thomas

Good to know. Thanks for letting me know.