Skip to main content
Solved

Auxiliary Copy - Can set to copy the earliest date first rather than randomly pick?

• 9 December 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I notice that the auxiliary copy do copy random backup data (I’m not sure how it select the data to be copy first). So if the copy is delay, some of the data that from earliest date still haven’t copy but some of the data from latest do get copied. This basically effect the retention of my primary copy. Also effect my offsite copy for DR purposes.

Is there any setting that can be use to make data from earliest is being copy first?

regards,

Fauzi

Hi @Fauzi SDS 

The auxiliary copy actually lets you to pick which job you want. When creating the auxiliary you can select which copy to “copy from” and then if you go to the selective copy tab as shown you can actually drill down to the options as shown.

I would recommnend reading the following;

Additional Copies of Backup Data

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/11490_additional_copies_of_backup_data.html

Copy Properties - Selective Copy

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/14088_copy_properties_selective_copy.html

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I know we can select which job to be copied. My question is on the data already being picked to be copied. The data is randomly copied, and not based on earliest to latest. So I want to be able to let the auxcopy to copy the earliest date rather than randomly copied.

For example I have last week data still not being copied, and this week data is already pick to be copied. Auxcopy will copied some data from this week and some data from last week. I want it to finish copy last week data first, then copy this week data.

regards,

Fauzi

I find that interesting. To make sure we are in the same page. You have one AUX copy configured, that is picking FULL jobs from primary and sometimes the aux copy will start to copy an job that is newer but skip the a valid job that is supposed to be copied but not available?

Trying to make sense of it, because if there are jobs actually finishing and being selected, sort of implies that it is available to be AUXED.

Can you share a screen shot of the storage policy and how it is configured ? 

One additional thought I had is. You probably have more than one subclient with that storage policy which could have more data and potentially be taking longer to finish the job you want to pick. I find it hard to understand and will need more details if you say that this is one subclient only. 

I have synchronous copy not selective. So it copy all data from primary. Like my example, I still have data to be copied from last week, and this week also have to be copied data. When auxcopy run, it copied randomly, not as per the earliest date to latest. So my last week data still have to be copied status, and this week data some of it already being copied (available status).

I want the auxcopy job to finish copied last week first. Then only copy this week data.

Hi @Fauzi SDS and yes, I think it is the normal behaviour of Auxcopy.

Let’s say in normal world, you almost always want to have the most recent backup secured. And if this one doesn’t fit, then, you’d reverse to and older one, and so on.

I read somewhere that the (DASH) auxcopy processes the full and most recent first (except when target is tape), when there are multiple jobs in the queue.

How often do you auxcopy? And can you detail the target of the auxcopy : to tape or disk or cloud ?using dedup if not tape?

Hi @Laurent ,

I do auxcopy to disk, cloud and tape. Cloud basically for DR purposes. When you say about DASH copy, I realize that it did copy Full first.

I’m not worried about copy to tape, but to disk will affect the retention of primary, if incremental is not being copied accordingly.