Solved

AWS RDS Backup Copy to S3

• 16 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +6

We have configured in AWS, RDS snapshot backups.  We need a way to get the Snapshot copied to our s3 bucket.

What is the best way to perform this task automatically?  a Best Practice or White Paper would be great.

Thanks

Chuck 

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 17 June 2022, 08:20

View original

7 replies

Badge +6

Hi @ChuckC,

Here is a document that might help.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/101364_amazon_rds_protection_using_native_database_export_or_dump_utility.html

Thanks,

Gil

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Only method currently available is a streaming backup using native export tooling as shared by @Gil S. I know engineering is working on a solution that allows you to perform backup copies of RDS snapshots. It is a complicated task, especially because the amount of possibilities they have is limited due to AWS limitations. We raised the request a very long time already and they have been investigating the possible routes, but it might be that AWS is also working on adding functionality similarly to for example EBS-Direct-Read that allows Commvault to perform backup copies without a lot of workaround. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello all,

@Onno van den Berg , after 1 year of this thread creation I would like to ask if there is any update.

For RDS backup through Snapshot method, I see that backup copies are still not supported.
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/102956_amazon_rds_protection_using_aws_native_snapshots.html

So, I guess that the only way to achieve an additional copy (except snapshot in AWS perimeter), is to create a New Snapshot Copy, with source the Primary Snap and destination a S3 bucket for example.

Is that right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Nikos.Kyrm 

Indeed as you pointed out already this capability being the ability to create backup copies hasn't arrived, yet. I have no idea what the current planning is, but I do know it is on the roadmap for a very long time already.

Currently there are two ways to create additional copies:

I hope we see the ability to create native backup copies of RDS arrive soon! I hope someone can elaborate on this. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

@Onno van den Berg Thanks for your feedback!

Until native backup copies of RDS arrive, if make a Snapshot Copy (with source the Primary Snap and destination a S3 bucket) I think it’s a workaround. Because at the end of the day you will have:
1) snap backup (in AWS perimeter).
2) an addition backup in Disk Library (using Snapshot Copy aux copy).

What do you thing about that?

Best regards,
Nikos

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi Nikos,

This will make no difference. You can't copy a snapshot backup to a S3 bucket. This proces is called a backup copy and this is not supported, yet. 

So you can continue to protect RDS via snapshots only and create copies of these snapshots to a different AWS account and/or different region, but still in a AWS snapshot format. The alternative is to create native backup which offers the ability to create aux-copies, have the benefit of compression/dedup but which requires direct access to the DB instance and which will have impact on the performance of an instance e.g. looks similar to the backup of a regular DB via an agent.

Onno

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hi Nikos,

This will make no difference. You can't copy a snapshot backup to a S3 bucket. This proces is called a backup copy and this is not supported, yet. 

So you can continue to protect RDS via snapshots only and create copies of these snapshots to a different AWS account and/or different region, but still in a AWS snapshot format. The alternative is to create native backup which offers the ability to create aux-copies, have the benefit of compression/dedup but which requires direct access to the DB instance and which will have impact on the performance of an instance e.g. looks similar to the backup of a regular DB via an agent.

Onno

Thanks for your feedback @Onno van den Berg