Question

bare metal recovery - restore can only be done on similar boot firmware

• 25 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello,

I'm trying to perform bare metal restore on a windows client to a different hardware and getting the following error 

the option supposed to be available 

what can cause the issue?

Best regards, 

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @LiorRN What's the CV version and what version ISO you are using here? 

Also, are you aware about the boot mode of the source machine? What is the boot method you have selected for the new machine? Can you try to change it and see if that helps?

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

tanks for the fast response

I’m on 11.24

I’m using the - 11.24 1-Touch WinPE10

I chanced the boot mode from secure boot , now I’m trying again

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I’m receiving the same problem 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @LiorRN 

I was asking about the boot type, is it BIOS or UEFI? Can you change it to the other one from what's selected now? 

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

I did tried both UEFI and BIOS - both not working

Badge

We need verify that machine booted into the right firmware or not. please follow the steps mentioned here and see if it showing correctly.

Verify that the Onetouch.log file is present in the following path.

X:\CVBMR\OneTouch\LogFiles

Tue Sep 24 16:42:34 2019 : SOneTouchFile::GetOneTouchInfoFileParsed - Error: Boot firmware does not match [source machine boot firmware = 1], [destination machine boot firmware = 0] (0=BIOS, 1=EFI, 2=UNKNOWN)

To confirm if the ISO got booted into the right firmware we can also run the following commands:

1.    Press F6 to launch the command prompt. In the command prompt , type the below command and press Enter.

wpeutil UpdateBootInfo

Run the following command:

reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control /v PEFirmwareType

If the command returns 0x1, then the PC booted into BIOS mode. If the command returns 0x2, then the PC booted into UEFI mode.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/general_troubleshooting_scenarios.html#recoveryrestore-operations