Solved

Best practice Windows update Commserve

Badge +2

I have a question concerning Windows update on a Commserve.

What is the best option:
1. Use windows update assistant?
2. Manually install al windows updates?

I prefer to use Windows update, is there a Commvault Best Practice?
How do you install Windows update on a Commserve?

icon

Best answer by Chris Hollis 2 May 2023, 03:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @CVadmin02 

I always let the built-in windows update tool download the updates, but I manually press the install button so I can stop the Commvault services first and this way you can prevent automatic reboots.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

We would always put our Commvault servers into a GPO that automatically deployed the patches to the server, but we then would manually install as @Jos Meijer suggested. We would then deploy the patches manually, reboot and generally perform other tasks at the same time (such as DB Maintenance on the CSDB or Commvault MR’s).

We’d also patch Windows MediaAgents the same way so we could ensure that the SIDB processes would be stopped cleanly.

We’d also get any change windows approved for business hours when the backup systems were generally quieter.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@CVadmin02 

In addition to the above, if you are keeping your Commvault environment regularly up to date (like we recommend), you can also leverage Commvault to initiate the windows update installation, refer to this article:
https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/114867_including_windows_os_and_sql_server_updates_when_installing_commvault_feature_and_maintenance_releases_01.html

This applies to SQL updates too and is supported on the following versions:

Windows operating system updates are supported on Windows Server 2016 Version 1607.

Microsoft SQL Server updates are supported on Microsoft SQL Server 2014, Microsoft SQL Server 2016, and Microsoft SQL Server 2019.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Badge

Once we install the OS upgrade On commserver is the SQL also will be upgraded default ?

i mean ,  suppose i have done OS upgrade from 2012 R2 to 2019 on commserve is the SQL db also  automatically upgraded in commvault  ?

could you please give the steps once OS upgrade completed what are the steps we need to follow on commserver