Skip to main content

Hello Community,

Sometimes transactional logs backups for SQL Server were converted to a full for some reason (please not focus why is that for now, let’s say random problems with media agents). I need to exclude full backups from working hours (let’s say 7 AM - 6 PM) because of CPU usage on source SQL servers. I’ve set blackout window for SQL Server “Full data management” in this hours and I can confirm that I cannot start any full then (it’s queued) which is ok. But my question is:

• If some full backup start eg. on 3 AM and won’t finish before 7 AM - this job will be queued or finished even in blackout window hours?
  • if some job will be converted to a full - does blackout window cover this job or it will be treated like transactional logs job for o blackout window engine?

Greetings,

Mateusz

A job that is already running when the blackout window hits will be queued until the window ends.  A job that has converted to a Full prior to the blackout window starting will be stopped by the blackout window.

Thanks for response @Orazan, that’s exatcly what I wanted to know.

Regards,

Mateusz

Also to add @mateusznitka you can leverage the following to possibly reduce CPU usage during the backup.

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=sSDTHeadMaxCPUUsage

Supported Values (1% to 100%)

Note ‘%’ symbol is required in the value IE 50%

I just wanna say that unfortunately, the blackout window does not work as mentioned with conversion to full. After conversion, the job has still has type “transaction log” in job manager and despite the fact that in reality this is full backup, the job is treated as transactional log job and blackout window doesn’t cover it